I wasn't expecting such an interest in the outdoor dryer so I didn't take step by step pictures along the way. Hubby is going to make some more of these soon, so I will be sure to capture each step next time.
This post is more like a progress report on how hubby made the outdoor/solar fruit dryer. He had no instructions just worked it out as he went along. You may need to look closely at the photos as part of the description.
Here we go J
Things you will need:
small square mesh
a carpenter square
small bullet nails
Hinges and latches (optional)
The width of the dryer is the standard width of fly-screen wire. *Size 1000 x 1200mm.
Size of timber 20 x 40mm.
Form a square...
To start with Hubby thought he would make just one big dryer with a top and bottom. This is about 1000 x 1200mm square.
Measure and cut the timber but before joining together with glue and screws, ensure that the frames are square by measuring across diagonals.
Staple the fly mesh on. He required some help from me with this bit. He pulled the wire tight while I stapled. Then trim the excess.
Then the progress came to a halt!
Hubby started thinking that this big frame was going to be a bit too flimsy, so he changed his plans.
It might be better to make it into two smaller dryers instead...
So he got some extra 20x40mm timber, found the centre and braced with the extra pieces each side of the centre. Then glued, nailed and screwed them in place. Next he turned the frame over and cut the fly screen wire with a stanley knife.
Then cut the framework into two halves.
It is starting to take shape.
Once the flyscreen wire was on, for extra strength hubby put some square mesh on the bottoms.
Then added some beading to finish off.
The next step was to add hinges and latches.
The finished product...
We had an old frame that was used for a dog bed. It is the perfect size to put the dryers on.
I have now placed the dryer on top of a table, but it is still sitting on the bed frame.
I put the legs in tin cans with a little water in to stop ants from getting to the fruit.
But the smart little critters still managed to find a way so now I have spread vaseline around the legs. This has stopped them for now.
Hopefully you can understand this description, feel free to ask questions.