About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Monday, August 17, 2015

Learning to Become a Cheapskate

On Saturday I was privileged to be able to go to the first Cheapskate workshop held in Adelaide, South Australia.  This was presented by Cath Armstrong from Debt Free, Cashed up and Laughing and Cheapskates.com.au and Wendy Gower, cheapskate blogger at My Abundant Life. Both these women are amazing cheapskaters and have appeared on A Current Affair.

Oh. what. a. fun. day.

It started nice and early at 9am and sadly finished way to soon at 4pm.

I was so enthralled by what I was hearing that I almost forgot to take photos (sorry Wendy I missed your segment). The media from Today Tonight turned up and put me a little of track. There will be a segment on their program this week sometime. I am going to be away, so may miss it...hopefully I will get to see it online.

Anyway, here is what I did manage to capture.

 Cath demonstrated how to make homemade laundry powder. She is grating laundry soap on the zesting part of a grater.  This makes really fine soap granules.

I have been making my own laundry soap for about eight years now. I used to make the liquid variety but switched to the powder this year as it is so much easier to make. 

 Just add three tablespoons per load or in my case, per wash as I have a twin-tub washing machine. 
Cath has done the maths on the cost of this. The approximate cost is three cents a load, so for me it would cost $3.12 a year.
 How good is that?

Cath continues grating as she explains the benefits of making our own (known as "MOOing") products to save heaps of money around the home.

Wendy lends a hand.

This was our classroom.

 After the laundry powder demonstration, Cath and Wendy set about making Miracle Spray. This is brilliant stuff and can be used for just about any cleaning job in the home. It is so easy to make and saves so much money, as you only need the one cleaner for everything. I used some today to remove a stain on my clothes. It worked a treat!

In the afternoon, special guest, Annabel from The Bluebirds are Nesting gave a talk on using beauty treatments on a budget.

 Annabel supplied us with a lovely handwritten leaflet with some special pampering recipes that I cant wait to try.


Photo time J

Annabel, Cath and Wendy.

And I managed to get in a photo too.
   

I so enjoyed the day!

Living in the country, I usually don't get to do anything like this.  I was so nervous but I had no need to be, because I was put at ease within five minutes of being there.

Thank you Cath, Wendy and Annabel.

18 comments:

  1. What a good report Tania! Thank you!
    I am so glad you enjoyed it. I feel inspired myself and full of ideas. Have a lovely time away. I have to tell you the mandarins are beautiful! Thank you so much! love Annabel.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you would love the mandarins Annabel. I have more to pick tomorrow morning to take away with us and give to my parents and friends.

      See you soon :)

      xTania

      Delete
  2. Wow - would have loved to have been there. Envious much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to go to one of the workshops if they hold them in your area Phil. I think this is the start of many travels for Cath and Wendy.

      Delete
  3. it would have been a great day and fun to meet those ladies. Learning how to save extra money would be great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, it's great to hear from you again.

      Yes you are right it was fun to learn along with others with the same interests. I learned a couple of new things, really important things, so that is good.

      xTania

      Delete
  4. I am pleased you had a chance to go, Tania especially since you don't live in the city and don't have as many opportunities to attend such events. It sounded like you thoroughly enjoyed yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An early Christmas present from hubby Nanna Chel. I was lucky to get there while hubby is on holidays. I don't drive in the city, so I needed him to be available.

      Yes I loved it!

      xTania

      Delete
  5. Joolz has left a new comment on your post "Learning to Become a Cheapskate":

    Sounds like a great fun day! I use the Miracle Spray, it shines my sink and gets the grime off Gus's shirt collars and cuffs too!

    http://simplyjoolz.blogspot.com.au/

    *Sorry Joolz, I accidentally pressed delete to your comment when it showed on my phone. Damn big fingers! Copying it here from email.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried miracle cleaner on my sink yet Joolz. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  6. You don't let the grass grow under your feet, do you Tania? You're always out doing or learning something new.
    I didn't know what to expect when I saw your post title. In the U.S. a cheapskate is not a frugal person, so much as a moocher who does things like let others buy him a drink but never buys a round. I think in Australia it must mean somebody who looks for ways to save money but not to the extent of "leeching" on people! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Harry, nice to have you drop by. Our language differences amaze me sometimes.

      Hope you are well,

      xTania

      Delete
  7. oh Tania what a thrill to be amongst like-minded peeps for the day, to bounce ideas off each other and come away rejuvenated. I'll share your post on the DTE FB page as I know others will love it too
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue,

      I am glad you popped in for a visit. Thank you for sharing this post on FB, I hope it is helpful to someone.

      xTania

      Delete
  8. Thankyou for your post and report on the day. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. So many were inspired to live a great life on a budget.

    Keep a look out for future workshops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will Wendy. I wouldn't miss it for the world!

      xTania

      Delete
  9. That would have been a fun day! It would be wonderful to meet people who didn't think you were kinda weird!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.