About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Monday, October 23, 2017

making greek yoghurt ~ reader request

I eat a lot of Greek yoghurt, so when I discovered an easy method to make it I was thrilled. 

I have tweaked the method to suit my own liking and this is what I am sharing with you today.

You will need one of these Easiyo's to make this yoghurt. They are very cheap to buy.  I found mine in the op shop.


Step 1: Fill up the kettle with water and boil.



Step 2: While the kettle is boiling, half fill litre container with cool water. I use filtered rain water.


Step 3: From the freezer I take out a packet with one tablespoon of saved frozen Greek yoghurt inside. You can either use a purchased packet of powdered yoghurt or use a tablespoon of purchased Greek yoghurt.



And add this to the water. This doesn't take long to thaw.



Step 4: From a bag of full cream powdered milk.



Take out one and half cups of the milk.



Step 5: Get a fork ready. 



Step 6: Add the one and half cups of powdered milk to the jar half filled with water and yoghurt added. Mix well with the fork.




Step 7: Top up the jar with water and continue to mix until powdered milk is well combined.



Step 8: By this time the kettle should have boiled. Add boiling water to the fill line shown in the Easiyo flask.



Now is the time I will explain about the glass jar I use. I just prefer glass to plastic for obvious reasons. 

The only thing is that the boiling water can be too hot when placing the jar into the flask. I have learned the hard way, trust me haha!

So if you choose to use a glass jar remember to let the hot water cool a bit.  I also warm the yoghurt mix slightly by adding a little bit of boiling water when I fill it. This way it is not too much of a shock when the cold glass meets the very hot water. Or you could just use the plastic container that comes with the Easiyo.




Step 9: I put the lid on and then place the container in the hot water inside the flask. Leave to sit overnight (I make mine at night). If you cant leave it overnight, let sit for at least eight hours.



Next morning your yoghurt should look like this.  Nice and thick!



Step 10: Remove one tablespoon and place into a snack bag and put in the freezer to use for the next batch. 




And there you have it.  Tania's method for Greek yoghurt, easy peasy! A while ago I worked out the cost for this and can not quite remember the total, but it is a lot less than a dollar a litre, so a great saving there. Tastes so much better than the store bought variety!

Do you make your own yoghurt?  If so, what method do you use?

~edited to add;  to make sure the yoghurt mix is blended really well, you can use a stick blender or give a good shake once the lid is on securely.  A good beating with a fork works for me but may not for others.

See you soon with an overdue update!

24 comments:

  1. brilliant post Tania, thank you for sharing your concise instructions xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Tania. Our daughter loves Greek Yoghurt. I’m going to put an Easiyo under the Christmas Tree for her,
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there Kylie,

      I gave my three girls an Easiyo each for Christmas last year. They have mastered this recipe and now make yoghurt regularly too. Makes a great gift I think, especially for health and budget minded people. This yoghurt recipe is cheap as chips and so simple to make :)

      xTania

      Delete
  3. Excellent instructions. I use a glass jar too. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Countrymouse Farmhouse. So nice to have you visit here today :)

      xTania

      Delete
  4. Brilliant method. Much simpler than buying the yoghurt powder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Louise, this is a really simple recipe and cheap too!

      xTania

      Delete
  5. Tania we have three EasiYo sets from Op Shops and make yoghurt all the time. Great instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nanna Chel,

      I buy them from op shops too when I see them. There is always someone on the lookout for one :)

      xTania

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the recipe, Tania. I use yogurt in my soapmaking. This is a big help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there TheAwakenedSoul,

      So glad this recipe will help you with your soap making :)

      xTania

      Delete
  7. I must get mine out again and give it a go. I didn’t have much luck with the sachets as the yoghurt was runny and the taste not really to my liking.
    I can use the greek yoghurt to make flat breads and also to make tzatziki for lamb koftas and maybe honey it up and dollop on muesli. I like ve the fact its got no nasties in it! Thanks for the great tute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joolz,

      I haven't had too many failures with this recipe, so I hope you try it and have success :)

      xTania

      Delete
  8. What a great method. I have not looked back since starting to make my own yoghurt and I hate to think of all the $$ I have wasted before making my own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff. I make easyio about three times a week (kids pretty much drink it) but I buy it all out of date so it costs very little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kev,

      Glad to have you drop by my blog. I have heard that bought yoghurt will last up to six weeks after the best before date. Too much sugar in a lot of the shop yoghurt though.

      xTania

      Delete
  10. Thank you Tania. I have never tried making yoghurt using powdered milk. This sounds very easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you give this a try Nil, it will save you heaps of money. Good luck, hope it is successful for you :)

      xTania

      Delete
  11. I'm going to start trying to use vanilla paste and honey in my yoghurt making. I have tried adding it after the yoghurt is made but it just doesn't mix through properly. Love the experimentation. It did take me a few goes until I got this method to work. I really don't know what I was doing wrong but I eventually had success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane,

      I don't add flavourings to my yoghurt. I eat it with my homegrown stewed fruit that is kept in my freezer. I sprinkle a crushed weetbix on top and mix it all in...yum, yum!

      I had many failures before finally mastering this recipe. It is hard to know what you do wrong with yoghurt as it can be a number of things, like not sitting long enough to ferment, water not hot enough, mixture not blended properly, not enough yoghurt culture...etc.

      Glad to hear you have had success with yoghurt making :)

      xTania

      Delete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.