About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Thursday, May 9, 2019

old post never published


Hello friends,

I was getting ready for a new post and while sorting through my posts list I discovered I hadn't published this one! I must have gotten so busy I forgot all about it. So I guess I will just post it even though it was back in October last year. There are a few things I want to remember on this one.

October 2018:

The reason for my absence may be because hubby is home on holidays and we have been getting much needed work done around here. We had planned to go away for five weeks but decided not to because the weather has been too hot and it is a bit much to ask people to look after things for that period of time in the heat. We did escape last week while the days were cooler with a trip to Port Lincoln. It was so nice to get away and catch up with friends we had not seen for a while.

There has been a lot of activity out back. I have a big post to share next time as we, with the help of a couple of friends, have been giving the veggie patch a complete new makeover.  I am well pleased with how it is looking, and cant wait to see how the veggies will grow in their new surroundings.  Time will tell whether we have the right grade of shade cloth or not.

So without further ado, here are some photos of October from here at Out Back.

Squeezing and freezing mandarin juice. I am still picking these for our morning juice, we have been blessed with such an abundance of fruit this year.


We have installed a new fan, this will be very much appreciated in the muggy weather we are having. Thank goodness our son is an electrician, he comes in handy, and saves us money ~smiles.


Out driving in the country.  While we are in drought other places nearby are looking really green.


And yellow.





Wind farms near Jamestown, South Australia.




We often tour around to different towns to see what's in the op shops.  Hubby is a collector of records, so this has become a frequent thing to do. This pretty display was in Burra, South Australia, but unfortunately we did not get to this Expo.  Sophie Thomson from Gardening Australia was there.  Hopefully next time we can make it.


 A trip to Arid Lands Botanic gardens here in Port Augusta with my daughter and her fella who came home from Sydney for a week. Now I remember why I missed October lol! I had visitors, first my daughter and then friends from Ceduna for another week. There went two weeks!


This is what the countryside looks like where we live, you can see it is pretty dry.



Wattles.

  

Pretty eremophila that I hope to get growing around home.




We do not want a nuclear dump in our area.  There are two towns earmarked for this and this sign says it all!



Yum, yum Quandong icecream!


 Trying to photograph a birds nest, I wasn't quite tall enough.


Interesting mix in there.


 One of our little wattle trees in bloom.


 This fella scared me when I was crawling around collecting quandongs. I thought he was a snake!


We were going through our old videos and found this one of my grandmother playing the mouth organ one Christmas day when the girls we younger. She always wore an apron and I miss her so very much. I shed a little tear when I saw her playing and talking, and am so glad to have this recorded.


Cactus bloom.


 The brood.



Quandong chutney.




There were bunches of quandongs on the trees this year, they looked like cherries.

  




I also dried a lot of the quandongs. They are now finished for another year...


 Sometimes mother nature teases us a little.


I am working on another project.  My mother in law started this knitted quilt but never finished it, so I have been knitting away trying to get it done. There are nearly one hundred squares in all different patterns so it is going to take a while.




Bringing the outside in.





The things you forget when you get busy, and how things change in just a few months.

xTania

4 comments:

  1. Your grandmother was so pretty! I love her apron. The juice and fruit look so healthy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss my grandmother Stephenie, there is not a day that goes by without me thinking about her and the simple life she lived.

      I am glad I was able to spend a lot of time with her over the years.

      xTania

      Delete
  2. What is that in yellow by the road, Tania? Are they wild flowers? The scenery is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are canola crops Nil. They do look so pretty when all in flower.

      xTania

      Delete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.