About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

saltbush, sunflowers and someone special

It has been a couple of hectic weeks, with appointments, visitors, and family matters to attend to.

One job we did get done though, was to organise and plant old man saltbush and giant sunflower seeds along the north side of the veggie patch. The tin is in direct sunlight all afternoon so it gets hot. The saltbush was a suggestion by Chris to create shade and a hedge to keep the the veggies cooler in the heat.  Such a brilliant idea if I can get it to grow. Thank you Chris.

As it turned out, Sunday week ago the Wirrabara Producers markets were on, and I was lucky enough to pick up some old man saltbush seedlings. I was so pleased!

Hubby always loves an opportunity to get his Kanga out and he willingly cleared the spot for me the next day. It is so dry and the soil is very powdery. 



I dug six holes and filled them with water twice and let it soak deep down.




Then I popped the saltbush in and watered again. I also put some giant sunflower seeds into the ground closer to the fence. Yesterday I noticed that a few have come up, so that is promising.


Before we had a chance to put a fence around, the chooks found the new spot and had scratched some of the hay away. Hopefully they haven't devoured any sunflower seeds! 



So then it was up with a fence and guards around the trees as quickly as possible. Last Thursday, the saltbush endured its first hot 41C day with wind and dirt (just what we don't need). And this week is much the same. I had to put up some shade for the young plants as the sun was fierce. Hopefully it will rain soon because the rain water I use for the veggie patch is getting really low. All the young saltbush survived their first hot day so I am hopeful.


Salt bush inside the tree guard.


Baby giant sunflower.


Last Tuesday we met up with one of my lovely blog readers. Jane, her hubby Bluey, a Cobber their gorgeous old dog, popped in on their way to the Eyre Pensinula. They are from Queensland, and are on a magical mystery tour with their caravan in tow.

Isn't blog land wonderful? I have been lucky to have met up with quite a few fellow bloggers and followers. It is a fantastic network to find like minded people, and a bonus when you get to meet.



We also caught up with another wonderful blogger yesterday, but I will tell you about that in my next post. All I will say is; hubby has something new to keep him busy as a bee!

Stay tuned.

xTania

16 comments:

  1. Oh, I hope your plants survive! It is hard to get them established with all the hot weather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they survive too. Its been a week and they are looking healthy so far. I am using rain water on them while they establish, hoping that it helps xxx

      Delete
  2. You are such an excellent gardener. I learn so much from you. How fun to meet up with a fellow blogging friend. Great photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you kind comment Stephenie xxx

      Delete
  3. Hopefully, rain will come soon. You obviously know what you are doing to get the new little plants started.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there.

    Maybe we will get some rain this week, it is not supposed to be a lot though, but better than nothing. Lately all we have seen is a sprinkle here and there as the clouds pass over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tough going with 41 degree heat and chickens can be very annoying when digging up your garden. I just put a new fence up and one got out and got into my veggie patch and dug up my plants...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      Apparently its not the chooks I have to worry about. I went out this morning and all the young sunflowers have been munched off! I was not happy, and have covered them with mesh...not sure what would have done this, possibly black birds or sleepy lizards.

      Enjoy your day xxx

      Delete
  6. Isn’t it lovely to meet people you kinda know lol
    We have had a lousey spring but it looks like it’s going to be a very hot summer
    Hope it rains soon for you and it fills all your tanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a treat to meet up with people you communicate with online. Hoping for a bit of rain in the next day or two, it wont be much but hopefully enough to settle the dirt, or not lol!

      Delete
  7. Tania, I hope to catch up with Jane again on her way home. She and Bluey have had quite a trip. It is always nice catching up with online friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been lovely to meet Jane an Bluey and to follow their adventures along the way.

      Delete
  8. Old Man Saltbush sounds like a very tough plant, Tania, perfect for the position your planting it in. I always think that gardening is so much easier when you match plants to the conditions they've got to grow in. I hope your sunflowers grow tall and strong and bloom with big happy yellow faces. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old man salt bush is tough Meg. It has survived really well with the heat we have had lately. Something has been munching my sunflowers so have placed plastic bottles over them, hopefully that fixes the problem. I planted out some more sunflowers seeds today.

      xTania

      Delete
  9. I read your latest blog post, first. So completely get the bee pun! It's great you caught up with some fellow bloggers. If I ever found my way to the outback, I'd definitely visit you! How wonderful to have found some locally sourced Saltbush too. The best kind, in my opinion. Better than coming from interstate, where the growing conditions might be different. That extra shade should see them through those hot days, just as they start establishing. By next summer, they should survive fine in those temps, without shade. I've had established plants, survive 45 C here.

    As they get much bigger, you may have to thin them out. I tried growing them as a close hedge, and after several years their branches were growing into each other. The leafs didn't like the lack of light or circulation, so would fall off in those areas. I now only have one left, from the six I planted as a hedge. Yet the individual ones I planted elsewhere, sprawled out and have only gotten bigger, in the drought. I planted my hedge about a metre apart. But I think 2 metres, allows the space they seem to prefer (long term). You've got me thinking about a blog post, showing my different saltbush arragements. What worked, and what hasn't. I do have some growing close together, but their branches aren't entwined.

    I wouldn't replant what you've already put in though. It's more efficient with resources, getting them esblished, when they're closer together. Just watch their leafs when their branches start entwining. Be prepared to pull out plants to save the others, if you notice a lot of yellow, sappy, leaf drop. By the way, great job! Team work with hubby, and your shade erecting skills. I have every confidence they'll make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the information about the salt bush Chris. I am hoping for a hedge and hopefully they aren't planted too close together. Two meters is a big space, but they do grow big as we have a couple here already. They have never had a trim up though.

      A salt bush post sounds like a great idea!

      On the inside of the veggie patch along that same side as the salt bush I have planted seven year beans (Madagascar beans). Out of six seeds, three have come up so far. I am envisioning them climbing up and protecting against heat and adding shade from the inside, plus the bonus of beans. I also have apple cucumbers climbing up and with the heat we had recently they show no ill affect from the hot tin.

      You would be welcome to call in anytime you are in our area. I could probably do with some of your advice lol! It has all been such a learning curve for me. Each year I change things!

      We had 9mm of rain on Friday night so that has given the salt bush a boost, they are looking good at the moment.

      Delete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.