About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Saturday, October 29, 2022

a day at dad's

Hello.

I visited my Dad earlier this week and thought I'd share some photos of his garden.

Cabbages.


Zucchini.


Cauli.


With all the rain we've had, the plants are looking really healthy. 
And so are the weeds!




Thyme in flower.



Rose buds forming.


Roses.






Mum's irises are beautiful this year. Its a shame she isn't here to see them.









Lavender.


Dark red pelargonium.


Huge earth worm on well weathered hands. 


Pumpkins.


Mixture of Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, cabbages and zucchini in the background. There is also cucumber, pumpkins and melons in this patch. Dad has to fence things so the rabbits don't eat the plants.


Zucchini.



Dad the great tinkerer/inventor. This is a homemade grass cutter he is working on.


Tomatoes are coming along.

Down the bottom of picture is some years old wheat he found and planted to see if it would grow.
And it did!


Huge heads of broccoli. I brought one home with me along with a massive cabbage.





Very tall thistles in the strawberry patch.



Dad is a very good gardener.



The almond tree is absolutely loaded this year and they are huge! There are also other fruit trees,  nectarines, apricots, peaches, and figs, all growing well.





We walked around the 10 acres and found some mushrooms.


The road home...


I treasure this time I get to spend with my dad. He has just turned 86 years old, and in good health for his age. He keeps busy, and is outside most of the day until the sun goes down. 
Bless him.

See you soon,
xTania 

26 comments:

  1. I see where you get your green thumb from Tania. Your Dad's garden is amazing. Mum is having a heavenly hand in getting the Iris to flower for you all to remember how beautiful she was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words are just beautiful Jane, I had a tear in my eye reading this. Thank you xxxx

      Delete
  2. I love your Dad's garden it is fantastic! I agree with Jane... we can see where you get your gardening from! Loved seeing this.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a huge garden he has. He’s doing better than me and I’m thirty years younger
    Well done to him. It’s great that he keeps busy. And so productive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is great that Dad keeps himself busy. Honestly I thought he would crumble after Mum passed away, but he has been stronger than I have. He definitely is very productive.
      xTania

      Delete
  4. Tania, your Dad grows so much. I guess he provides all the family with veggies. How lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nanna Chel, love to hear from you. Yes Dad does supply us all with his veggies and eggs. He is a true blessing to his family.
      xTania

      Delete
  5. What a goal, to still be gardening at 86. Loved the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, definitely something to aim for. Dads motto is "just keep moving, because once you stop, that's it!"
      xTania

      Delete
  6. Gosh, I am in awe of your Dad. Imagine being able to do all that gardening at 86! He definitely has green fingers and has passed the gene on to you. I guess being active in the garden and eating all those fresh fruits and veggies are the key to keeping healthy. Enjoy your cabbage and broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there.
      Yes eating all those fruits and veggies with exercise keeps Dad healthy. He takes his little dog for a walk most mornings as well. He also keeps his brain ticking, has always been a tinkerer with mechanical things, and doesn't like things to beat him lol.
      xTania

      Delete
  7. Wow he has an amazing veggie garden which I'm sure keeps him fit and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely does keep him fit and healthy Kathy. Lovely to hear from you.
      xTania

      Delete
  8. His garden is unbelievable! He is working hard at it too. I'm so impressed..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Vickie, hard work is all my Dad has known, and he just keeps on going. He's very old school in the way he thinks.
      xTania

      Delete
  9. Spectacular, Tania! Your dad is an amazing gardener. I am so inspired by all of the food that he is growing. Look at those almonds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those almonds are huge Stephenie! The trees have never really had almonds since moving there, but this year with all the rain things are really booming. Dads next problem is to beat the corellas {native cockatoo} from destroying the tree and almonds. He is trying to think of a way of deterring them.
      xTania

      Delete
  10. What a lush garden your Dad has. Goodness, just marvellous. It's hard to imagine a garden right now as here is very much the opposite weather - snow, flash freezing rain and minus temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, so lovely to hear from you.
      I can imagine your weather is quite the opposite to us right now. The heat has finally arrived for our summer and I have a feeling we are going to get some real scorchers this month. I must do a post on my vegetable patch as I haven't done one for a while since hail destroyed a lot of things back in the beginning of September 2022.
      Take care and thank you for visiting,
      xTania

      Delete
  11. Really miss your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. Hopefully I find inspiration soon for more blogging.
      xTania

      Delete
  12. Wow, your Dad sure is a good gardener, I love the photos of all the things I cannot grow here in the tropics. the iris are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, he surely is a great gardener, now we have tomatoes coming out our ears lol! xxx

      Delete
  13. I love your Dad's gardens, flowers and vegetables are so well cared for. My husband would love to fix things with him for sure. Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicky. Dad would definitely enjoy your husbands company doing things. He loves it when people are like him xxx

      Delete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.