About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

This and that

3.30am this morning I was woken by very, very loud thunder and the sky lit up with constant flashing of lightening...

Then down it came.
and it was loud...
First a bit of hail then a bit of rain,
not much just 2.5mm (10pts).
Today the weather is a real "hang on to your britches" kind of day.
Very strong winds that will hopefully be followed up with a bit more rain.
There is a severe weather warning out for South Australia.



This week I have been happily just doing the things I like to do,
like knitting and crafting.
Making dishcloths is a favourite and I also tried a knitted scrubbie made with a plastic type string. I haven't tried it out yet but it should work okay as it is very scratchy.


I made this dishcloth last night and I am happy with the way it turned out and I like that it is fairly large.
The breast cancer ribbon has been in my thoughts a lot lately since finding a lump just over a week ago. An ultrasound followed, and now an appointment with the breast clinic in Adelaide for more tests very soon. I am trying to remain positive, although it is difficult with breast cancer on both sides of the family...


My first attempt at making some mittens/fingerless gloves.


Some recycling like what I found here

Thank you to Tania at Ivy Nest for recommending this site.

I will collect up some more tins to paint and then get some pretty plants to put in them, I am thinking herbs rather than flowers, so we will see :)


And a nice slice recipe thanks to Inner Pickle
A lovely place to visit...

Recipe can be found here


LAZY LADY

Ingredients

125g butter, melted

1 cup brown sugar

1 egg, beaten

2 tbsp cocoa

1 cup self-raising flour

½ cup desiccated coconut

Method

Make this in one saucepan, save the dishes. Melt the butter, stir through the sugar and then egg. Stir through the cocoa and then the flour and the coconut.

Spread in a slice tin and cook 15-20 mins at 180°C.

Ice while still hot.

Icing:

1 cup icing sugar

2 tbsp cocoa

2 tsp softened butter

1½ tbsp milk

Mix all together in a bowl and spread on top of warm slice. Sprinkle with coconut.


Have a wonderful day everyone.

17 comments:

  1. Tania - Thinking of you - hope the results are all good

    And I think your dishcloth is a thing of absolute beauty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your tins and YES herbs would look great!

    Your pink dish cloth is fab!

    Thinking of you and sending positive vibes for good results.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. its raining in sydney, too. also gone from cloudless sunny days to cold and rainy. yuk. the extreme changing weather makes for unsettled natives esp in school hols!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping all your results are clear. I know this would be a worrying time for you but keep your mind busy with the things you like to do.

    I have been going to the Breast Cancer Family History Clinic every year since I was 27 and my appt. is now due.I worry every year when it comes time.

    Thinking of you at this time & I hope you get some nice rain (skip the hail)
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts are with you Tania!! I hope that everything goes ok when you travel down here next week.

    Always a scary time though, it sticks in your mind doesn't it.

    I am off to have a look at that recycling idea and have bookmarked that recipe for a school holiday activity.

    We have very strong winds and quite a bit of rain here at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tania I do hope that the appointment brings you the news you need.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking good thoughts for you that everything will be okay. I think we in Melbourne got the very same weather tonight and the thunder, lightning and rain are still going strong. Your dishcloth looks great and the pink is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thinking of you, please try not to worry. most lumps turn out to be nothing evil.
    love the dishcloths, do you have the pattern for the ribbon one. We have copped your weather this afternoon, rain and thunder and lots of lightening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Angela, you can find the pattern for the dishcloth here:

    http://www.knittingknonsense.com/pinkribboncloth.html

    And here is another one that is very similar:

    http://www.knitwits-heaven.com/breast_cancer_awarenesst.htm

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're just getting the rain and wind this evening in the Adelaide Hills. Nothing like a good thunderstorm when I'm tucked up in a warm house.

    I hope your tests go well and that the lump is nothing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tania, I hope you test clear. Sending lots of good wishes.

    Here in Darwin the weather is hot and balmy. The green tree frogs have been croaking but the rains hasn't come yet. Is that hail in your hand????

    I love you dish clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lumps & bumps in boobs are not fun!
    Have you come across susun weed - google her for breast care - and take away with you any thing that feels right.

    Lots of love Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those tins look great! Lovely assortment of colours. On a more serious note I am hoping everything is okay with your visit xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thinking of you re:lump. I had a suspicious lump too and it was a difficult time waiting and not knowing for sure. Hoping things turn out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute dishcloth and tins, Tania.
    I hope you get a good result from your tests.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your pink dishcloth in support of breast cancer. I have also fallen in love with the painted tins idea, thanks for sharing that one Tania. I'm thinking of you and hope the results come back clear, what a time you have had of it lately. Hugs coming from across the ditch, Regards, Ruth

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.