About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Beautiful Australia ~ Northern Territory Trip ~ Kings Canyon

Hello dear friends,

As promised here are some photos of our road trip to the Northern Territory.  The journey took a month and we squeezed as much into our schedule as possible. Some days we were exhausted.
 A good exhausted. 

I have decided to mostly post photos as I think they tell the story for themselves, although it was much more stunning than they can show.

Our first stop was

 

Here we are with our back packs on and ready for the big six kilometre hike around the rim of Kings Canyon. Note the white legs, this happens to us southerners over winter!

Up we go...
By this time I am beginning to realise just how unfit I was. It was steep! I had to stop and rest to catch my breath.

 But I knew the views at the top would be worth it. 
These also took my breath away.

Enjoy!











People on the other side of the canyon...





 Tucked away in a corner of the canyon was this.  
It is called the Garden of Eden.
Just beautiful.







 More people, this time taken from the opposite side.

 Wildlife. 
I know this as a Jimmy lizard, but I think it may be one of these.


 The car park in the distance as we were coming back down...

There were dingoes wandering everywhere around the park where we were staying.  This one went into the store and stole the poor soft toy in the next picture.  When he realised it wasn't edible he walked away. They are so cheeky.


This one made himself comfortable at a  campsite.  It was very warm and he was looking for a cool spot.
 


On the day we were leaving this one (it could be the same one as above) passed by close to our caravan. He was looking for food.


The dingoes howled all night long and it was a little scary to walk to the amenities at night.

Kings Canyon is isolated and there is no phone signal.  The only contact we had with the outside world was by pay phone. The old fashioned way. 

Back soon with the next leg of our journey,

Take care,




22 comments:

  1. Oh Tania - what a wonderful trip. All those unique colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real earthy colours, nature at its best :)

      Delete
  2. Looks very much like our Desert Southwest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of the landscape we saw on our trip reminded me of the old western movies, those unique hills :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes it was! Cant wait to do it again next year. Different place next time :)

      xTania

      Delete
  4. I did that walk many years ago when I was young and fit. I had a 2 year old on a back frame and my four year old did the whole walk without complaint. These kids are now 24 and 26. the Garden of Eden was worth the effort it took to get there. How wonderful for you. Looking forward to seeing where else you took yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Jane, Here I was whining about the water I had to carry, but you had a whole two year old to lug around! Absolutely loved this walk :)

      xTania

      Delete
  5. I have to ask, did you take adip in that cool water while you were out hiking? I know I would have been tempted.

    Those dingos look like they are very used to people. Are they dangerous at all? We have coyotes in the fields around us and they will occasionally wander into town. They sure are loud at night when they decide to start up their "chorus". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We felt the water Debbie and it was freezing! The signs there ask you to respect the traditional owners and not to swim in the water :)

      Dingoes have been known to bite people (one even took a baby, if you remember that story from years ago). It is best to leave them alone and not feed them.

      xTania

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear all is well Tania. I vaguely remember saying you may go in your van, but I had worried as you hadn't blogged for such a long time. Hope your time away was awesome!
    regards Robyne P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Robyne,

      It is great to hear from you. I know I have been so slack with posting. I take photos and then run out of time to post. The internet here is so slow that it takes me a whole day to do a post. The photos take hours to download. I need to download them during the day as my son hogs the internet at night time!

      Thank you for your concern, but we are all good here :)

      Hope you are well,

      xTania

      Delete
  7. Tania, it's a reminder of our unique landscape, isn't it? Just stunning! Love, Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mimi, our landscape is very unique, and I cant wait to discover more of it :)

      xTania

      Delete
  8. Well Tania, that was well worth the walk! We live in a beautiful country I must say. I wouldn't trust a dingo though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worth the walk Nanna Chel, I am glad I bit the bullet and did it. I didn't want to miss out! No the dingo doesn't look trustworthy, they sneak around all day through the campersites.

      xTania

      Delete
  9. Oh Tania, what wonderful , wonderful photos, Thankyou for taking us to Kings Canyon with you.
    We have just had a holiday in Tassie and the scenery is what grabs us, and I certainly will be adding N to our holiday to do list.
    Looking forward to your next installment. I like you had been MIA, but am trying hard to not let life get in the way all the time.
    Take care Tania
    Cheers
    Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jane,

      Australia is very special for its scenery, it is always changing. We have been to Tassie and loved every minute of it. We want to go there again one day :)

      xTania

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a great trip. I notice Australians seem to do a lot more "roughing it" than Americans do these days. Even the people who go camping want to stay at camp grounds with televisions, pools, laundry mats, a restaurant, etc.

    Liked the Dingos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you again Harry.

      Us Aussies love camping, the rougher the better. Of course there are exceptions where people want the finer things in life, I think they call it glamping :)

      xTania

      Delete
  11. Dear Tania, What a good trip! Lots of good photos. I don't trust Dingos! Or crocodiles!
    There is nothing like a holiday to make you feel refreshed and re focused. Many benefits!
    Have a good weekend! With love Annabel.xxx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.