About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

here and there


Hello and welcome everyone.

We had a busy week last week with a trip to the city to take the 4wd down to have some work done on her.  We headed off in the early hours of Wednesday morning and it was pouring rain. I was a little disappointed to have missed out on seeing it fall and flood our road. I couldn't take photos to show you other than these two...

Although blurry, you can see how much water was around. This was the road as we left home.


Here we are on the highway. It rained all the way to Port Wakefield and was quite heavy at times. You can see hubby driving in front of me. The sky was very dark.


Once we dropped the vehicle off, our friend picked us up and we went out to lunch {Tania doesnt drive in the city}, then he took us back to where our other car was parked.  

The next day we did some shopping and took advantage of the cheaper prices while in Adelaide.

This was the veggie haul we brought home. We found a couple of cheap green grocers so stocked up on veggies. The pre-bagged items like cucumbers, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, were $1.00 a bag. Packham pears were .49c a kilo! These vegetables aren't the perfect size or quality for the supermarket, but they are perfect for me. I don't care what they look like so long as they taste good.


We purchased jars for our new venture into vegetable fermention.


Another thing I bought in Adelaide was a hotel for our native bees. I will locate this out in the orchard in Spring. I hope to make my own one of these soon.


Someone is enjoying the warmth of the sun...


Look what the rain did!  Aren't they cute?




This pretty tiny native daisy is flowering, it comes back year after year.


Out back the clean up has begun...

This is the site where the new greenhouses are going to be.

 
Wood has been chopped and the bushes burned.


Then the digger was brought in to level off. 


And now it is almost ready for the building to commence.


Chrysanthemum bloom...


Sunrise...


The water is back in the lake.


Just sitting here with my coffee...


Taking it all in...

   
Work is happening on the caravan. Hubby is wiring up for our solar panel.

 
He found this flame gadget very helpful. I think it is called a hot devil torch?  We have holidays coming up at the end of July, so soon we will be preparing for travel once again.


These drone photos were taken by hubby on Sunday.  

The magnificently painted Wirrabara silos! 

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Aerial shot of the Wirrabara markets. 

While at the markets, it was lovely to meet Jo, a regular reader here. She recognised my face and introduced herself. Hi Jo!

Image may contain: sky, tree, outdoor and nature


The hills above Horrocks Pass on the way home.

Image may contain: people standing, mountain, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: sky, mountain, grass, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, plant, outdoor and nature

That's all for now. Hope you all had a lovely weekend.

See you all soon.

20 comments:

  1. I've read that you should bleach out the bee tubes after use, as they can build up disease organisms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did say that on the instruction sheet Gorges, so I will definitely do it. Thank you for raising my awareness to this.

      Delete
  2. Amazing aerial shots.
    Glad you found those bargains. Love the bee hotel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos again Tania. Those silo's are amazing. I think you have such stunning views where you live. Thats exciting about your new greenhouses - things like that excite me so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. Yes your are right, we do have lovely views and I need to appreciate it more.

      xTania

      Delete
  4. Lots of wonder here Tania. The greenhouses will be amazing! I love the drone shots of where you live too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant pics.... really amazing. Technology like that is wonderful. Your greenhouse project sounds exciting and looks like it is well under way. I am so glad I said Hello. Really great to meet you. Cheers, Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto Jo, love meeting like minded people xx

      Delete
  6. so much going on, well done for recording it all, I can imagine the novelty of driving in the rain for you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sue, there always seems to be something to do around here. Today I have had a quiet one, feeling a tad worn out lol! xxx

      Delete
  7. I love the areal photos.

    Are those mushrooms edible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are tiny toadstools Nil. I could be wrong but I would not eat them xxx

      Delete
  8. You have so much natural beauty there, Tania. I love the little native flowers :). Wow, you guys did a great job on clearing the brush and leveling your back area for your greenhouse. I'm so glad you got rain to fill up your tanks again. The bee hotel is awesome! And the drone pictures are amazing and clear! I'd be afraid I'd lose camera and drone if I attempted that ;). Blessings~
    Mary from San Diego

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely words Mary. Sometimes I take the beauty of my surroundings for granted and don't look for the good in the simple things. The drone does take beautiful photos and they are pretty foolproof to use. If hubby can do it, anyone can. The more he uses the drone the better he is getting and he now takes it everywhere with us looking for every opportunity to capture something beautiful.

      xTania

      Delete
  9. I love the drone shots, great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I'm late on this post but I'm so impressed with your prices on produce! Ugly fruit still taste great.
    Your pictures are wonderful. Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vickie. It okay to be late in commenting, so now I am late with publishing your comment lol, we have been away on holidays.

      xTania

      Delete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.