About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Friday, June 7, 2019

the orchard ~ part one

Hello dear friends,

Sorry for my absence yesterday...I had my 15yo grandson staying here overnight and he was using my computer to do homework.

So this is what I got up to during the day.

This is where I started...quite messy and not organised!


 and how it looks now. That is so much better.


This is our fruit orchard. You can see where I have moved the compost bins around to the other trees. In this patch we have orange, mandarin, grapefruit, fig, mango, mulberry, peach, apricot, nectarines, grapes, olive and an apple tree growing.


Now there is a bin near the orange tree, on the shaded side...


And the Fig tree has one...


This bin is near the Mango tree. Mangoes aren't really suited to this area so I will probably sacrifice this tree and replace it with something that will fruit. It has been planted for years, but no produce. Why waste water for no return? I am thinking the same with the mulberry tree. I do get fruit from the mulberry but is is so small.  They are not wasted though, I pick the mulberries and add them to my kombucha.


The mandarin tree has one too. I added lawn clippings, horse and chicken poo and watered it in. There is a big mama red back spider living in this bin, so I need to be cautious and sight her before putting my hands anywhere.

It was hubby's idea to use the sulo bins and black barrels {above} as compost bins. He cut in them in half and made wicking beds from the bottom which left us wondering what to use the top for...Problem solved!


While I was working away, I let the water run on the fruit trees, moving it around from tree to tree.


This barrel holds water for the wildlife, and is under the mandarin tree on the opposite side to the compost bin.


These two are situated under the nectarine and apricot trees.


I have one of these compost turners.


It is really good for turning the mix over. Just screw the spiral in...


Then pull it upwards and out.


It brings the compost up from the bottom to the top, thus mixing it around and aerating the soil.



I am hoping this compost will be ready by the time Spring gets here.



I moved the raised beds to here.  I will probably take these over to my parents place, maybe they could make use of them. I had planned to use them for growing things under the fruit trees, and I did try in Summer, but you can guess what happened once the heat arrived. Then I thought I could use them for compost...maybe I still can...hmmm...


Looking a lot better than yesterday.


I started to move some mulch from over yonder to under the fruit trees. I will continue on with this job today. I will also kick start the rest of the compost bins with grass clippings, leaves and manures and remove the old fruit from underneath the grapefruit tree.

Another job I hope to get to, is to move some manure to spread around under the trees. Saturday I will go on the hunt for more poo. We have a friend nearby with cows and there are also horse stables just down the road, so it shouldn't take to much effort to find some. I only source pony poo, not racehorse as it is safer to use on the garden. It is all free...

That's all for now, best get going and get started on my day.

See you tonight, there will be two posts in one day!

xTania

12 comments:

  1. Great idea with the fruit orchard. I was thinking along similar lines, only for establishing non-edibles, on a dry ridge, and on a much smaller scale. I like the compost turner, and great recycling ideas. Maybe you could reuse the raised beds, for a winter only garden. Have a permanent cloche over the top, to stop any frosts. Winter gardens grow incredibly slow, but are the first things to take off, when spring arrives. Which I find handy for those small windows of opportunity, between seasons. Sometimes it's only a short period of time, but the plants in the winter garden, had a head start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea to use the raised beds over winter Chris. I may not get to do it this year as we are due to be away for five to six weeks on holidays so someone would need to take care of them. Unless it rains of course and then they take care of themselves. I will make plans for where to put them and prepare soil ready for next winter. I also get problems with tree root invasion so would probably need to line the beds. I really like this idea, thank you for planting the seed...

      xTania

      Delete
  2. My neighbor gives me free manure, too. I also use the chicken poop and litter. It really makes such a difference in fruit production in the backyard orchard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free manure is good! There is always a plentiful supply as we have horses all around where we live, and are located right next to the race track...but as I said I am cautious about using racehorse poop, just don't know what is in it. It really does give the garden a boost!

      xTania

      Delete
  3. Your orchard is looking great Tania. I think that compost turner looks such an amazing idea - have not seen one of those before. Yes i have mulch to move too ... its an endless task around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine your mulch problem Julie. Here I am trying to find things to use for mulch while you have an abundance of the stuff lol!

      I spied the compost turner in the local hardware store and knew that it would come home with me, simply because it was too hard to get a shovel or fork into the bins for turning, so it was a need to have :)

      xTania

      Delete
  4. I have one of those compost turners too! I like your idea of the re-use of the geddye bins. I must see if I can source any from somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those tools are great! There must be second hand rubbish bins somewhere because they get replaced from time to time.

      xTania

      Delete
  5. The orchard looks great.
    I recently bought a small rotating compost bin from ALDI because it’s hard to turn my regular compost bin. I’m going to see if I can find a spiral thing like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of a turning compost bin Nil. Would make things easier. Hope you find one of those spiral compost turners :)

      xTania

      Delete
  6. Looking neat and tidy now. Thinking of your composting under trees and suggest stinging nettle- if they are not a problem there. I'm cultivating them here as I pull out those that flower and add them to the liquid compost or toss them in the regular compost as an activator. Doesn't cost anything but the water, which is runoff from the garden. I also use the leaves of those that haven't yet flowered for tea as it helps keep my blood pressure lower. Would another citrus tree, like a lemon or lime, be a good replacement for the trees you want to remove? Alternately, an Australian native like finger lime or a nut tree (macadamia?) as there seems to be more availability/information on these so you could find one suitable to you and your climate/soil. Have fun researching! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your suggestions Robyn.

      I do have stinging nettle growing as it came up when it rain a while back. The plants are only small at the moment so I might go out and water them in a minute and grow them for the compost as you suggest Other years I have made up liquid manure using nettles, but with the poorer years there hasn't been many around.

      As for the fruit trees, I will research what grows best for around our area. The mango and mulberry were given to me, but they struggle too much and require a lot of water. People in the town grow them but out in the elements where we live they are not thriving. I do have a lemon tree in a pot that could go into one of the spaces also another fig and nectarine in pots. There is a pomegranate in a pot too, I know they perform well in our climate so I could put that in the ground. Muntries {known as emu apples or native cranberries} is something I want to try as they should grow here. They are an indigenous plant that produces edible berries. They have become popular lately as bush food, like the quandong.

      I do know they grow finger limes over yonder in the hills, so possible that they might grow here. I will research to find out, will also look into the macadamia tree.

      Have a lovely weekend,

      xTania




      Delete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.