About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Op Shop Finds and Easy Meal

I got a chance this afternoon to pop into the local Lifeline shop,

and came away with these goodies...



Patchwork cushion...$2.00



old cot sheets...$2.00 each,

pillowcases...50c each

There is also two cushion covers one patchwork and one red gingham...50c each
(forgot to download photo)



$1.50...for this book



A long Bonds hoodie jacket...$5.50


Added up to $15.00 but I got it for $11.50

I will go to the other op shops in town tomorrow :)


My easy meal tonight...
Sausage Casserole
(picture is of leftovers that will be enjoyed tomorrow)

This is a microwave recipe but I cooked it in my large cast iron frypan, giving it much more flavour.

Sausage Casserole (microwave)

1/2 kilo of sausages (I used chicken ones)

placed in a flat dish with enough hot water to partly cover and cook on high for 4 minutes. Peel the sausages and roll in flour, seasoned with salt and pepper. Place in casserole, add 1 carrot diced, 1 chopped onion, 1 stick celery, chopped finely, 1 tin tomato soup, 3/4 cup water. Cook on HIGH 7 minutes, and then MEDIUM for 25 minutes or until veggies are soft.

~Now for the way I cooked this,
I am trying to get away from using the microwave.

I cut sausages into threes, rolled in flour and browned using a little oil in pan.

When nearly done I added

the onion, carrot and celery. I fried until onion was soft, then added the tomato soup and water.

I let it simmer with a lid on until done, approx 20 minutes. I served it with simple homemade Potato Bake.
Just sliced potato, a little cream and grated cheese on top. Baked in a moderate oven.

xTania


13 comments:

  1. Tania, the casserole looks delicious.

    I love op shops (we call them charity shops)too.

    Those finds are amazing and well done you for rescuing them..and treasuring them.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great finds! It's been a long time since I've been to any shops around here--I really need to go soon. The recipe looks delicious. We're also trying to not use the microwave--thanks for sharing your changes. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well yumm to the sausages and great finds for the other.HAve fun tody op shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like you lucked out in your shopping! That dish you made also looks really yummy...might have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been op-shopping a bit to of late. Looks like you got some good finds. Yesterday I shared one of my finds on my blog. I always find it more exciting then shopping new as when I shop new I have a set list & budget, with thrift shopping I never know what I will come home with.
    Have a great day
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great bargain hunter you are. Dinner looks yummo too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great op shop finds.
    I cooked up a similiar sausage casserole 2 nights ago and just used whatever was in the fridge plus a tin of tomatos and slow cooked - all the family loved it
    Apparently cooking up what's in the fridge turns into my best meals :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tanya, was wondering why your local shop is charging you for the book, they are free, we give out thousands over the year to our clients

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummo - sounds like a nice easy, filling, warming meal. I really love potato bake, it is a favourite in our house, I sometimes add a small can of sweet corn and sweet potato too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I'm a new happy follower..Love op shops and hope you'll pop over and visit me soon..xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love bargains and would be excited as you are. I really like that pillow. I just might pop over to our local secondhand book store tomorrow and see what I find.

    The casserole looks yummy.

    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those sheets! What are you going to make??

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.