About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Friday, April 17, 2020

day by day 17.04.2020 with recipes

Hello and welcome.

A busier day here today. It was a cool 21C {69.8F} so I spent the morning inside baking.


This note was left on our car windscreen one afternoon when picking our grandson up from school.  It is still sitting on my side table as a reminder.


Kombucha is brewing on the old ice chest. My grandmother in the background, she sits quietly and watches over my kitchen.


Now for the baking...

I started out by baking this cake after reading about Julie's cake on her blog. I switched the feijoa for guava and my oh my, this cake is so delicious!


Feijoa and coconut cake

(copy and pasted)
 INGREDIENTS
125g butter, softened *{I used nuttelex}
1 1/4 cups caster sugar
2 eggs, separated *{I used flaxseed and whipped aquafaba}
1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
1 cup desiccated coconut
3/4 cup chopped fresh feijoas
1/2 cup milk *{I used soy milk}
METHOD
1. Whipped cream, honey and toasted flaked coconut to serve (optional)
2. Heat oven to 170°C fanbake or 190°C regular. Spray and line a 23cm spring-form cake tin.
3. Cream butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and beat well.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites to soft peaks.
5. Sift flour over butter mixture and fold in with coconut, chopped feijoa, milk and beaten egg whites.
6. Spoon mixture into prepared tin and smooth top. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
7. Serve cake warm with cream and honey and a sprinkling of toasted flaked coconut. It is also delicious eaten cold, dusted with icing sugar.
Serves 8
*What Tania used in this recipe.

*****

While the oven was on, I decided to make up a few upside down pear and ginger desserts, recipe here.  I had three pears in the fridge that needed using so I made three of these in alfoil trays, two for freezing and I will give one to my parents. I have made this before and it is a favourite.



 



UPSIDE DOWN PEAR & GINGER DESSERT (copy and pasted)

For the topping, which is actually the first layer in the pan.
2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 tablespoon melted Butter
1 firm, sliced Pear
Set the oven to 160 degrees Celsius...Place the melted butter in a loaf tin, then sprinkle the brown sugar over the butter. Arrange the sliced Pear on top of the sugar mix....arrange in a pattern if you wish.

Now the batter.
150 grams Butter *{I used Nuttelex}
60 grams Brown Sugar
80 grams of Flour...(I used Plain Wholemeal Four)*{I used the same}
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
2 teaspoons ginger (I used the bottled crushed ginger) *{I used powdered ginger}
1 egg *{I used flax egg}
1/4 cup milk *{I used soy}

Cream the butter and sugar together, then beat in the egg. Add the remaining ingredients, and mix well.
Pour the batter over the sliced Pear and bake for about 30 minutes....
Allow to set in the loaf tin until cool to the touch...(I found a better result when turning the dessert up-side down, if you allow it to cool first). 


*What Tania used in this recipe.


Next it was time to make whipped cream. I use chilled coconut cream, icing sugar and vanilla essence.


Yum with the guava cake!


Outside...

We had 7.5 ton of crusher dust delivered first thing this morning.


We live along a heavy vehicle detour road and I captured this pic of a dump truck going past today.


A wheel barrow load of garden soil ready to go into beds tomorrow.


This succulent is growing out of a pot that has tipped over slightly. It looks as though the plant is pouring out. Hard to capture it in a photo.



Tomatoes.


The grapefruit is changing colour. This tree is loaded as usual.


There are bunches of them.



Late afternoon peek at the bee hives. Most of the bees were still out foraging and flying back and forth.

 
Watering station for the bees.


How was your day? What did you get done today?

Take care my friends and I will see you soon.

xTania

14 comments:

  1. I love the look of the pear upside down cake. I THINK I have pears coming soon. My niece found a tree and she thinks they re almost ready. We swap things so if she brings me pears I will give her cooking. Otherwise I continue to work on apples! My day was really busy. I made cup cakes for grand daughters and a huge roast meal for 9 people all plated up to deliver to both daughters and a guest as gifts of help.... plus two meals for us. Also I made three quiches to use up some eggs. Otherwise I was in the garden. I am mulching and planting whatever I can get my hands on. It looks a mess just now as things do when you are starting over.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Annabel you have been very busy and productive!

      You will love that pear cake.

      xTania

      Delete
  2. It was a really hot day here yesterday (33C) but I still baked ... just very early in the morning. I made wholemeal pesto bread rolls (I am practising my breadmaking!), a Weetbix slice and nutty choc chip cookies. That pear upside down cake looks absolutely delicious. I love fruit in cakes! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it smelled delicious in your house Meg.

      You should try the pear cake, it tastes as good as it looks.

      Your bread rolls sounds nice. I should expand my bread making skills too.

      xTania

      Delete
  3. Oh I love the pic of your Grandmother in the kitchen. Kathy, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been thinking of blowing my grandmothers photo up and hanging it on the wall. I feel her presence a lot, especially when I use some of her things that are now in my possession.

      xTania

      Delete
  4. I will definitely be adding those recipes to the useful book. I make your apple slice whenever we have apples that have gone soft. It is a favourite and one that Bluey will ask for. He told me this morning that the apples were soft and maybe we could have some of the cake slice. So it looks like I will be making this today. Thank you for sharing. I love these delicious recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh that apple slice, I have not made that in ages. Thank you for reminding me. That will be the next thing I bake in my kitchen.

      xTania

      Delete
  5. We are eating our pink grapefruit at the moment. They are bigger than softballs! What do you do with yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually juice my grapefruit and add to orange and mandarin juice, that way the taste is not as noticeable. I give away a heap and have also made marmalade. Not the best fruit to do anything with lol! I wish they were oranges!

      xTania

      Delete
  6. Our weather isn’t as nice as yours but we did get some outside work done
    Finally planted out those seedlings so now we wait for them to grow lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are getting rain to help those seedlings along.

      xTania

      Delete
  7. What a nice note. You get so much done! I have been cleaning the cabin. It is starting to really come together. I worked on a sock that I'm making for a friend. Lula and I took a walk in the mountains, and I made a pan of enchiladas. I hope that my grapefruit tree looks like yours someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That note was a sweet gesture in these uncertain times. I think it was one of the older school students that was walking around putting nice notes on car windows.

      It must be beautiful to walk in the mountains.

      I love your little cabin.

      xTania

      Delete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.