About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Friday, April 24, 2020

day by day 24.04.2020

The blue skies were back today.


Morning smoko. Guava jam and coconut whipped cream on homemade scones.


I needed a little greenhouse for the seedlings I bought today. They are so small due to public demand, and I would like them to grow a bit bigger before planting out, so I came up with this. An old crisper box from a fridge and a plastic seedling tray. Perfect!

 
Making healthy soil for the wicking boxes. All mixed together are sheep/cow/horse manure, dirt, compost, potting soil and organic matter like leaves etc.


The foam boxes are now ready for seedlings.


Just a short post today. There was not much achieved due to other life distractions.

Take care everyone and have a lovely weekend. 
xTania

10 comments:

  1. Love your clever seedling box.
    Recycling at its best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela. I do like to recycle when I can.

      xTania

      Delete
  2. Great idea to come up with your seedling box..Have a great weekend. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accidental discovery in the end after not being able to find a suitable box in the shops.

      xTania

      Delete
  3. What a brilliant idea to use the crisper drawer as a mini greenhouse! My brilliant idea came last night as a result of looking at potatoes grown in 'trash bags'. In looking closely at the picture I noted they weren't trash bags but woven plastic, much like the bags dog food or chicken feed comes in these days. Ta Da! I get 46 pounds of dog food at a time delivered to the house and those bags will work brilliantly as planters! Makes me happy to find I have what I need even when I think I don't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea too Terri. I have some of those bags and I never even thought of doing that! Thank you for sharing your brilliant idea!

      xTania

      Delete
  4. Really like your seed raising box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to all the local shops looking for something to use and then I went into our "junk" room and there it was! A crisper box, and to find it fitted almost perfect into a seedling tray just made my day :-D

      xTania

      Delete
  5. Beautiful blue skies! I learn so much about gardening from you. I put out my cilantro seedlings and a tiny celery plant. I mulched and planted them. Now they are all shriveled up from the sun. Rats. I will try again. I may just sow the seeds in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your seedlings Stephenie. Maybe put some shade over them until they establish. Seeds may be better because they adapt to the conditions as they grow. I do prefer to use seedlings, as I don't have much success with seeds.

      xTania

      Delete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.