About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Monday, April 20, 2020

Getting there

Another weekend has come and gone and here we are back at Monday once again.

Around here I did not get much done on the weekend.

Saturday, our son was here most of the day working on his car, and my friend also called in for a cuppa and chat in the afternoon. It was a lovely day so we sat outside and kept our social distance.

On Sunday, most of the day was spent visiting my parents.

Here is what we got up to over the past few days.

Some of the garlic in these pots are showing up. I wasn't expecting them to grow so well.


We have big old man salt-bushes growing out back. These came up by themselves and grow wild, they also provide a wind break and shade to the top area we are working on.


Late afternoon sun light on the salt-bush.


Saturday's pickings. These were added to a stir-fry for tea.



My sauerkraut worked out this time and is now in the fridge.


Getting ready to set up the wicking veggie boxes.



We use potting trays in the reservoir.


They have to be cut to size.



Clouds coming over on Sunday afternoon.


Monday...getting there.


Measuring the geothermal mesh to go in the boxes.


Here they are all in a row. I have been held up from getting to these beds, so Phil gave me a hand today. After some thought I decided to line the boxes up like this. The galvanised garden beds I had around them will heat up too much in summer. I may move them around more until I am happy with their position. Hopefully tomorrow the sun will shine so I can follow its path and place the boxes where they will get the most of the winter sun. We have sat them up on boards to create air flow underneath and during the heat of summer I am thinking I will put bales of hay around to protect them.

The soil should go in tomorrow, I will trim the mesh and they will be finished.


I have gathered pots together. Now we have crusher dust the centre where the pool was can be filled in and leveled off. We may even build the poly-carb green houses up in this section yet. We need to measure the sizes and then make up our minds.


This was the sun this afternoon, trying its best to shine through the thick cloud. Lots of clouds but sadly no rain...


Today's pickings.


Pizza for tea tonight.


How did you spend your weekend?

See you soon,
xTania

12 comments:

  1. your gardening looks impressive. I have a small packet of lettuce seed I might venture out and plant up in a tray - small start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty, its lovely to hear from you.

      A small start is better than no start, so happy planting!

      xTania

      Delete
  2. Hi Tania. You always seem to have something to pick in your veggie garden my friend. I am getting spinach but am still waiting for my peppers & chillis to get a bit bigger. I love the photos you take - you have the most fascinating skies over there for some reason! Or you just capture them beautifully. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look like you guys have been busy sorting our your garden needs ready for some good home grown food. Kathy, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like we will never get there Kathy.

      We will keep pushing onward...

      xTania

      Delete
  4. TheAwakenedSoul {so sorry Stephenie, I accidentally deleted your comment, so c&p from email}

    wow! What an amazing pizza. That's one of my favorite homemade dishes. I vacuumed, blogged, read and watched too mu news, baked a cake, and roasted a chicken over the weekend. I've been digging up weeds in the backyard orchard, and just planted some vegetable seeds in the front potager garden. Your gardening techniques are so interesting. Mine are much simpler. I don't know what you are talking about half of the time, but it sure is working!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephenie, the pizza was huge and delicious!

      Sounds like you are accomplishing a lot while spending time at home. Hope I don't sound like too much of a nutcase lol! I have to try lots of ways to garden here that is not normal to other people. The aim is to grow food on little rainfall and save water expenses at the same time.

      xTania

      Delete
  5. Our daughter came and got me yesterday. She wants me to make some items for a friend. Our deal is I will happily make the items but she has to purchase all the base materials. So off to Spotty we did go with me in my mask. There were very few people out so this was a good thing. Katie got all she wanted and then stopped at the bakery to get an apple and walnut roll. Now this is usually a celebration item here. We got home and were sitting with coffee and apple and walnut roll and she announces that she got the job she interviewed for last week. Wonderful news. It means that they can now keep the house they are building. We are so happy. Other than that news there has been lots of gardening, very little crafting by me, Bluey has been making Lazy Susans, and Cobber dog has been busily supervising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good day out with your daughter Jane. Glad to hear people are abiding by the rules and staying at home or if out social distancing.

      The apple and walnut roll sounds delicious! And it is wonderful news indeed about your daughter getting a job!

      I like the sound of Bluey's Lazy Susans, I bet they look great.

      xTania

      Delete
  6. Great idea about the seed trays in the reservoir. I love a good wicking bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still haven't got the wicking beds finished because I keep getting sidetracked with other jobs. So much for being bored while spending all this time at home, I don't have time to be bored!

      xTania

      Delete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.