About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Thursday, April 23, 2020

day by day 23.04.2020

There were big dark clouds looming on my walk this morning. It was meant to be 23C {73.4F) but it was still warm out walking, however later the wind went around and it turned cold.




This acacia wattle tree was starting to blossom, I think it is a bit confused, as these don't usually flower until August/September at the start of Spring.


I wheeled the generator out the shed and turned it on because the power was scheduled to be off between 8am and 3pm today. It hummed along nicely and kept my ice-cream from melting haha!

Not longer after, I had to put it back in the shed because guess what?

It rained!



And put water back in our tanks.


 The chooks weren't impressed. They all headed for the dry area inside their pen.


I put the lemon, fig and pineapple plants out to get some the lovely rain.


 All the plants that were lucky enough to be out in this weather loved it! I can see them smile J








There were two open flowers on the guava today.


A barricade to keep the kangaroos from eating the small guava tree. We transplanted this tree from our sons house when it was removed a while ago. We put it in the ground with manure, kept it watered and a couple months later fresh growth appeared. Only trouble is we had the kangaroos coming in while the drought was here and they ate all the leaves off the guava and the grapevines. Not once, but twice! I finally convinced Phil to put something around to protect it. Its not pretty, but it does the job for now. The green ground cover is some type of ice plant and the bees love the tiny flowers on it. It also makes a great covering for keeping the roots cool in the heat of summer.


I took 8mm {31pts} out of the rain guage. Not a lot but we will take all we can get.


The tomato plants are hanging under shelter now.


With all the dampness outside, I set to and finished hand sewing patches on Phil's jeans.


I baked some buttermilk scones outside in the pizza oven.


They turned out really well.




Next I decided to make apple slice {thanks for the reminder Jane}. I put this recipe on here a while back and today I changed it up a bit. I cut back the sugar to 1/2 cup, added 1/2 cup of raisins and then sprinkled cinnamon on the top. I left the skins on the apples this time.


I served this up for dessert tonight with custard. YUM!


 And just like that the rain was gone. Bright sunshine in the afternoon.





 Damp red dirt.


Today's pickings, there are so many beans.



I chop them and put in the freezer for when I want them to add to stir fries, stews etc.


There was thunder, lightening then this. Music to my ears!


How was your day? Did you get rain?  I believe it may headed to Victoria tomorrow, if its not there already.

xTania

12 comments:

  1. As a former farmer, I learned never to curse the rain, even during hay season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Gorges.

      We live in an arid area with an average of just 9 inches of rain per year {if we are lucky enough to get it}, so I get really excited when we get rain. I am a farm girl too and know how important rain is for everything, I remember dad saying about getting the hay picked up if there was rain coming. The whole lot of us would get out there to help :-)

      xTania

      Delete
  2. Good morning Tania. 7 mls here.... rain going into the tanks sure is great music! Your plants look to be smiling....my spinach is huge. Hoping the peas come up soon. Just a quick question... when should I harvest/ dig up the sweet potatoes? they still have green leaves and are spreading out enthusiastically. Your garden is amazing. Thank-you for sharing and inspiring. Have a good day. stay safe and well. Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Jo, its lovely to hear from you.

      With the sweet potatoes, I read somewhere to wait until the leaves die back in the colder weather then dig them up. My leaves are starting to lose colour and look a little tired, so it wont be long until I harvest them. I can see sweet potatoes just below the soil so I know there are some in there.

      Enjoy this beautiful weather and the benefits that the rain brings,
      xTania

      Delete
  3. Nice to have a little bit of rain and the storm cloud photos are great. My Mother in Law makes the most amazing apple slice recipe. If you jump on my blog and search apple slice it will pop up. The recipe includes sour cream which makes an amazing top to the slice. You won't be disappointed if you make it. Have a good week. Kathy, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that slice Kathy, have made it several times and it is the yummiest! I used Greek yoghurt in place of the sour cream. I have to figure out how to make it without the sour cream these days because we don't eat dairy. I am thinking coconut yoghurt, because it is nice and thick. You have planted a seed, I am going to try it next time. Thank you for the reminder.

      xTania

      Delete
  4. My son has a pizza oven -I will let him know of how useful it can be for other cooking, too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have cooked a bit of everything in that pizza oven. Roast veggies, cakes, pizzas, anything that you cook in a normal oven really. I think things turn out better when cooked in the pizza oven.

      xTania

      Delete
  5. Doesn't the rain just perk things up so much more than us watering them can Tania. I just love it & I lift my big potted things outside too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does perk things up Julie. The rain also washes all the red dirt off the plants and lets them breathe again.

      Have a lovely weekend,
      xTania

      Delete
  6. Lovely rain. I am both impressed and envious. I made the apple slice yesterday and it was gone by the time I went to bed last night. It was delicious. OUr SIL to be turned up and he took home a few pieces for their household. I saw Katie today and there was none left. It is a definite favourite around here. I had written a note on the recipe to cut back the sugar. I think next time I might even try to make a crumble type topping for the slice. It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My slice has almost gone too Jane, I forgot how yummy it was!

      xTania

      Delete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.