About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Healthy recipes ~ The heat

Just what I didn't need right now. (now is the time to remember what I am thankful for)
All the preserving jars are cleaned and ready to go.
43C (109.4F) melting temperature for today. The nectarines may just get cooked on the trees as most are not quite ready although I have picked a few. I checked them last night after the hot day yesterday and they felt quite spongy from the heat, but not ripe. With an early rise this morning I have given the fruit trees a good watering to try to get them through. The chooks are feeling it too, so water has been laid around for them as well.
To top my day off nicely, dear son has come down with a bad dose of gastro this morning. Poor little soul.
A Praying Mantis graced us with a visit this morning. He was on the screen door taking in some cool air.

I have started the New Year with a healthy food plan. I began last Saturday and have already lost over a kilo without feeling hungry. Sugar and dairy have been omitted from my diet as part of getting my liver back healthly.



Here are a couple of healthy recipes.
They don't taste too bad either.




APRICOT CHEWS

1 packet of diced apricots

2 cups of orange juice

4 tablespoons of honey

3 1/2 cups skim milk powder

1/2 cup soya flour

2 cups chopped almonds

2 tablespoons grated orange rind

2 cups sultanas

2 cups currants

2 cups coconut

In a saucepan, simmer apricots, orange juice and honey until apricots are tender (5-10mins). Mix in milk powder and soya flour, add almond, orange rind, sultanas, coconut and currants. Mix well and leave to cool slightly. Roll mixture into log shape and roll in extra coconut, refrigerate, cut into slices when firm and store in container.

I halve this recipe and add mixed dried fruit instead of sultanas and currants. I also used plain flour in place of soya flour as I was unable to purchase soya flour.


FRUIT AND HONEY LOAF



3/4 cup cold tea

1/3 cup honey

1 1/2 cups mixed fruit

1 large apple, grated

1 egg

2 cups wholemeal or high fibre SR flour



Preheat oven to 180C. Combine tea, honey and mixed fruit in saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer 2 minutes and allow to cool. Stir in apple, egg and flour. Transfer to greased and floured (or lined) loaf tin. Bake in moderate oven for 50 minutes.






Today will be spent inside apart from going outside to check on the animals and garden.



x Tania

10 comments:

  1. Oh the heat, and it is not as hot here as with you. It is nice to actually be doing something healthy. I have lost 1.5kg and feel better.Keep on at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm...They look delicious and I'm going to try them!

    It's a warm one here today (36) but it's due to hit at almost 40 tomorrow and I'm dreading it!
    Are you working? I find my children suffer in the heat, but then again, it seldom gets over 30 here.
    It's too hot to cook today, so I think we'll just stick to salads for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Tatersmama I have the day off thankfully because ds is sick. Am working tomorrow though.

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow they look deliscious. Sure is hot hey?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had 27 degrees at 9.30 am and it crept up to 38 and I thought I would melt overnight 23!!
    Am sure even hotter for you guys but boy hot enough for me and the kids and all the furry and feathered friends.
    All your goodies you have made look quite delicious.
    I need to shed some kilos ,Just need inspiration...
    Hope the lil guy is better soon,Everyone seems to have tummy things at the moment.
    Oh I have a hen on eggs again...Fingers crossed:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tania

    It got to about 39 here yesterday in the lower SE of SA. Today I got up and went to the bakery at 7am and it was 20! A welcome relief although it has now warmed up again.
    I remember visiting my grandparents in Murray Bridge. Pop Turner had a nectarine tree that he was very proud of (never any grubs in them)and I loved them. I haven't had a decent nectarine since I was a kid. Now they have peacharines which are like biting into foam rubber - and no taste?!!! Gee you must has sweltered yesterday. We hit the beach last night and got some welcome relief and some beautiful photos.

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's MINUS 30 oC here at the moment!!!

    Gill in Canada

    Oh and I nearly forgot the snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tania, thanks for visiting me today and leaving a comment about the haircut. I'm so glad you left a comment so that I could come visit you. What a lovely blog you have! And a little off the beaten path, so to speak, from what I'm used to. Very nice indeed.

    The recipes look great, but I'm wondering, could I substitute regular flour for soya flour?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello 2nd cup of coffee, yes you can substitute the flour as it is such a small amount.

    Thankyou for commenting,

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  10. 2nd cup of coffee, I am not sure about the second recipe with the flour though, I used wholemeal and it makes quite a heavy cake.

    Try it and see I guess.

    Tania

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.