About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Spring gardening


 Spring has arrived...


Now is time to prepare the garden for the warmer weather...


I spent the day outside a couple of days ago and placed mulch on the beds.  I used lucerne hay and was lucky enough to get a couple of bales for free off my daughter as it was slightly rain damaged.  It was fine for the garden though...

I have planted two beetroot crops (we love our beetroot). The one on the right is a variegated variety which I never knew existed.  The crop could be interesting when ready as the beetroot should be different colours, ranging from whites, reds and orange...


The Brussel sprouts.  
I have noticed a small aphid infestation on one of these plants and will be dealing with that today...


Cauliflower and Kale...


Hard to see but there are Onions, Leeks and Chives are in this bed. They have been very slow to grow this year, probably because the soil is too cold...


A closer look...


 This crop of broccoli is just about finished...
I have since planted some new seedlings in this plot.


 Freshly planted old fashioned lettuce...


Mixed crop of silverbeet, celery, and hiding in there somewhere are onions and leeks...


 Beds in waiting...
I have purchased some more seedlings, and will wait just a bit longer before planting out.  These include cucumber, zucchini and dwarf beans.
The temperature is set to rise to 30C (86F) on Tuesday, so it wont be long and the last of the frosts will be gone.  The last two nights have been cold and frosty, but the days are filled with beautiful sunshine...


In this plot there are capsicum plants from last year waiting to shoot out fresh leaves, potatoes, spring onions, and a couple of small strawberry plants.  The bed at the back has carrots still growing and in the spaces I have sown some more carrot seeds.  They are just starting to germinate.


The smaller bed has self seeded bok choy growing in it, but this never grows properly here, just goes straight to seed for some reason.  The bigger bed has beetroot, broccoli and spring onions.


My new place of rest while gardening.  Hubby surprised me with another gift :) 
 It should be nice sitting out there watching the veggies grow...


And here is my poor sweet potato. It has barely survived the frosts, but with a bit of sunshine it is shooting back...so fingers crossed that it will be okay :)


 What is hubby up to now?


 He is trying his hand at grafting. He has taken some fresh cuttings from our orange tree and put onto the healthy grapefruit tree...



Now we wait to see if it is successful...


This weekend is supposed to be lovely weather-wise with temperatures of 24C (75.2F) and 25C (77F), so I will be spending my time pottering around outside...

What are you up to this weekend?

xTania

9 comments:

  1. About ready to harvest my two-hill potato crop. Guess you could say I'm EASING back into gardening! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is looking great! We will be tearing the garden out this weekend in anticipation for winter. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think spring is anywhere in sight here just yet! Still only 14C here today, very dull, chilly and still.

    I just don't know when I will tackle my back garden - it's still cold and wet and my I am scared I will hurt my back if I go too hard. Maybe a bit of sunshine in the coming weeks will spur me on (gently!).

    Your garden is looking great as always,

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just had a lovely beetroot and chicken salad for lunch, you'll be able to have plenty of those coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely garden. It must be pleasantly sheltered with that wall around it.This weekend we have had some special visitors travelling around Australia and lots of new baby lambs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this post,I enjoy looking at other peoples gardens and with envy I might add lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! Very inspiring. Must get our summer garden in..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow you have a nice variety. I am getting ready to put in some fall crops here as our winters are mild and I can grow year round.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! you have a huge garden! I hope mine will be a little bigger next year! thanks for following. I am following back now :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.