About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Some Favourite Recipes

ANZAC Biscuits
(Margaret Fulton's recipe)
You need:
1 cup each of plain flour, sugar, rolled oats and coconut
120gms of butter, melted
1 tablespoon of golden syrup
2 tablespoons of boiling water
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda dissolved in a little water
Method:
Mix together dry ingredients
Then the rest
Spoon onto a greased oven tray
Cook in a coolish oven 150-160 C for 10 to 15 minutes.
Okay, it would appear that some of you have had trouble baking Anzac biscuits. I too, have had flops from time to time (even though they are still edible, they just didn't flatten out properly). However this batch turned out just right, so go figure! I use the same recipe every time.
What I did different this time was to melt the butter and golden syrup together, but didn't add the water or bi carb to it. I added the butter mix to the dry ingredients and then added the bi carb dissolved in 2 tablespoons of boiling water. I also use butter not cooking margarine. Maybe the temperature of the oven has something to do with it. These are cooked in a coolish oven not moderate.


Banana Cake

4oz Butter

1/2 cup sugar

2 eggs

3 mashed bananas

1 1/2 cups SR flour

1 tspn carb soda

2 tblspns water

Walnuts, optional




Cream butter and sugar well, add mashed bananas, beaten eggs, SR flour and the carb soda that has been mixed with water. Add walnuts and mix well. Place in 8" square or round tin and bake for about 1/2 hour at 180C-190C. Ice with chocolate icing and sprinkle with coconut if desired.




This banana cake is extremely moist and extremely delicious. The recipe has been handed down to me from my mother. It is a little different to the standard banana cake recipe,(much nicer in my opinion) as mum has changed it a little. I don't add walnuts, only because I'm not fond of them. The cake is just as nice without them.
Enjoy!
Tania

7 comments:

  1. I have had trouble with some ANZAC reciepes before so am looking forward to trying this one. I like to get exactly the right texture when cooked you know not to hard but still firm while still being soft & chewy. Ha that sounds really funny but you know what I mean us anzac lover fanantics
    Have a great day hope being back at work is going ok for you.Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay into the breach once more then - I have a friend coming for morning tea so off to try another batch of anzacs with your suggestions taken on board wich me luck.

    hey tania have a fabulous weekend.

    daisymum

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent recipes, I have been wanting to make ANZAC cookies for a while.

    Gill in Canada

    (I have put a link to your blog on my blog)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much the biscuits turned out reallyw ell have added the recipe to my little notebook. My kids are going to be So impresswed this afternoon!!!!

    daisymum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anzacs seem to have funny recipes on those recipe website, from memory. When we make them we use my husband's recipe, not sure where he got it from, he was making them around the time we met. Will have to see if they are the same.

    I have an award for you that you can check out on my blog.

    My daughter brought home a chocolate ripple cake from youth, I haven't had one for years.

    That is fantastic daisymum7

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made a batch of Anzacs this morning but they didn't turn out as good as I had hoped, so I rang my mum to ask what she thought and she said her recipe had 4 tablespoons of water, so I am going to try a little more water next time. She has the original Anzac recipe that she uses that never fails, but it is the crunchy variety.

    Good luck with the recipe Caroline, do hope it works, I guarantee that they are soft and chewy, so long as they are not overcooked. Work is going okay, but I am pleased the weekend is here. I would prefer to be taking it easy.

    I am so pleased that this recipe worked well for you daisymum.

    Thanks so much Gill for adding my link to your blog, I will do the same for you. Hope your Anzac cookies work out okay.


    Thankyou too Linda for yet another award, I am going to collect them tomorrow I promise. (I haven't collected the last one yet, sorry).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am starting to take a big interest in all things Australian. My teenage son ( 13) is coming over to Melbourne for ten weeks next year on a school exchange (April -June). He will be fourteen by then. He is really excited about coming over. I am very nervous! I enjoyed reading your blog

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.