About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Blossoms

After the terrible weather again yesterday, I am surprised there is any blossoms left on this tree. The wind was so strong it filled our house with red dirt that I need to clean up today. This still happened with every window and door closed, the dirt still found it's way in. Still no rain unfortuneatly. At least it's a better day today which allows me to go outside to sweep up before the next lot of wind. You can see how dry the ground is, these will need a water soon.
Beautiful blossums.


I have done some patchwork but I can't claim this as one of my own. I have a friend who is an obsessive quilter and so I bought my quilts from her. An Australian theme is used on this one.


Left over Tuna Patties from last night's dinner. I have fond memories of my grandmother serving tuna/fish patties at times when we would visit her as children. I was thinking of her while making these ones, funny how simple things bring back memories.



Tuna Patties with Lemon Dill Sauce

425gms can tuna, drained
45gms butter
1 medium carrot, grated
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon flour
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup milk
2 potatoes
1 1/2 cups packaged dry breadcrumbs
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk, extra
flour, extra
30gms butter, extra
2 tablepoons oil


Lemon Dill Sauce

2 teaspoons cornflour
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 clove garlic, crushed
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill,
or 1 teaspoon dried dill leaf tips


Patties:
*Peel potatoes and cook in boiling water until just soft. Drain, mash until smooth.
*Melt butter in a saucepan, add onion and carrot, and saute on low heat for 5 mins.
*Add flour, mustard, salt and pepper and stir until smooth.
*Gradually add milk, stirring all the time. Stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat.
*Add tuna and mashed potatoes. Allow to cool (this makes it easier to shape into patties)
*Shape mixture into 12 patties.
*Coat each patty with extra flour, dip in combined beaten egg and milk, and coat with breadcrumbs.
*Heat extra butter and oil in a large pan. Cook patties until well browned on both sides and heated through.
*Drain on absorbent paper.

Sauce:
*In a pan, blend cornflour with a little of the milk. Add dill, lemon juice, garlic and the remainder of the milk.
*Stir constantly over low heat until mixture boils and thickens.
*Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream, then reheat without boiling.
*Pour over hot tuna patties.




Have a great day.


Tania

6 comments:

  1. I noticed that I have missed the blossoms a little, some trees have nearly only leaves now!

    We went for a trip yesterday, we got out of the car at Beechworth and it was freezing!

    I love tuna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tuna patties. my husband doesnt so I either make them when hes starving or by myself. I love making tuna cassarole mixture and putting it in vula vulants.

    PS I love Beechworth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt, and I like the sound of those patties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pinkflowerbuttons, the girl we took with us was surprised to see the gaol. I hope she gets to visit there again.

    Tania I have awarded you a I Love Your Blog award. You can see it at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So dry. Oh how I love fish cakes and tuna patties. How do you cope with the heat?

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be honest it can be very depressing especially with water restrictions as it makes it impossible to even have a little bit of green by way of a lawn even. Hard to grow vegies because we need so much water as the soil doesn't hold the moisture.

    We don't have to travel far to the hills and the Flinders Ranges to find a bit of green though.

    The blocks of land near us that have just been purchased by people have been cleared so this makes for more dust and drift on a windy day, I must remember to take a photo next time it is windy.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.