About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Monday, February 21, 2022

out back

Hello everyone.

I am back with a tour of the patch out back.

With Summer winding down, there are jobs to be done in the veggie patch. 

One of those jobs is seed saving for next season.

These are leeks. The little black seeds in these are very time consuming to get out.




And then dill seeds, these were a lot easier to collect.




A generous gift of produce. I am very blessed to have wonderful neighbours.


This little daisy bush {could very well be a weed} is growing everywhere in the backyard after all the rain.



I had better success with pumpkins this year. I grew them out near the orange tree where they would get shade in the afternoon. They still struggled on the really hot days, but I have managed to get them through.



The vines took a liking to the orange tree.


So I have spaghetti squash hanging in the orange tree!


There are so many weeds to deal with. Mostly prickly buck bush {tumble weed}. The weather is cooler this week so I will make a start on clearing them out.


The paddock looks quite lush and green even if it is only saltbush.


The citrus trees are fruiting well.

Mandarin.


Orange.


Grapefruit.


The guava has a lot of fruit for such a small tree. This is the first time of getting more than just a few.


Huge big tumble bush.


The Amaranth has turned into a weed. It is growing everywhere! This plant is a super food. You can eat the leaves and seeds for ultimate nutrition.


Beetroot.


Tomatoes of different varieties, mostly small ones.  I seem to have trouble growing larger tomatoes during summer. No need to worry though because Dad grows enough for all of us.





The garlic chives are in beautiful flower.



Lemon scented pelargonium growing in a pot. Almost in need of a trim.


The Basil didn't do great this year, but I have plenty dried from last season.


Second crop of blueberries forming. Just need to keep the birds away from this delicacy.


I have been picking capsicums when they turn red.  There are now new ones coming along.


Malabar climbing spinach.


Dragon fruit at different stages.




Spring onions spring up everywhere.


Nice crop of leeks.


Purslane.


Celery.


Late volunteer pumpkins that came up after the rain.


Rhubarb.


Thai basil.


Sweet potato that sprouted in the pantry.


The eggplant is not doing so well this season.


Potting up strawberry runners.


Plenty to do yet.



Volunteer tomato plant. Not sure what type.


Volunteer capsicum plants.


Sweet potato patch.


Salvia.


Rockery garden.


Hubby has finally started on a pathway through our native area. We are getting gravel to put on top to keep the dust down, and hopefully we can source some big rocks for the edges.



Quandong trees.


Volunteer plants growing outside of the veggie patch, two tomato plants and three globe artichokes in amongst the weeds.




Yarrow has appeared in the back lawn area, not sure how.


Roadside gathering of peaches. These are eaten raw, some made into more jam and the rest will be stewed for later.




 Love this photo of my Mum standing in a wheat crop on our farm at Ceduna.  I am missing her so much, she is never far from my thoughts.


Hope you are all well.

Until next time, take care.

xTania 

14 comments:

  1. She's gorgeous. I'm sure she is watching over you. Mine always helps me when I lose something. Your garden is amazing! Love the new path, too. Good neighbors are definitely a blessing. Keeps life peaceful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephenie.

      I feel my Mum with me all the time, I am sure she is keeping watch over her beloved family. She was the glue that held us together and now the link in the chain is broken.

      I cant wait to see what the pathway will look like once finished.

      xTania

      Delete
  2. A question: What do dragon fruit taste like and how do you use them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay,

      It is hard to describe the taste of dragon fruit. They are a tropical fruit with similar texture to a melon. I don't like the ones in the stores because they are bland but home grown are so much better. I just cut in half and scoop out the middle flesh and devour. Mine are really juicy.

      Hope that helps. Google may be able to tell you more.

      xTania

      Delete
  3. For someone whose garden is slowing down, you have an amazing amount growing. We used to grow the red dragon fruit in Humpty Doo. I do not like it. To me it tastes as ordinary as a cactus would, at least in my head. I have tomato envy of your Dad's ability to grow so many of the tasty big toms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane,

      I think dragon fruit are an acquired taste, my little grand daughter {4yo} loves them. I just like growing them, and they don't go to waste because they do get eaten.

      Dads tomatoes just keep on giving. He has mastered tomato growing for sure.

      xTania

      Delete
  4. Where I am we are now getting closer to spring, and you are heading into autumn. I love seeing your garden pictures. We were out pruning our 2 apple trees yesterday, and I did some cleaning up in the vegetable garden. I am SO looking forward to gardening this year. What a lovely picture of your mother. They are always close to our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      Our loved ones live on in us forever. It still feels as though Mum is still here, although it has been seven months since I last saw her before she passed away.

      I love spring and look forward to when it rolls around again.

      xTania

      Delete
  5. Wow your garden is growing so well
    I’ve slightly increased my production this year and we have been having enough to eat and still some to preserve for later use
    The world is once again on the precipice of yet another disaster
    So growing food helps me deal with the anxiety

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Angela. We are in for some tough times ahead I think. Gardening helps my anxiety as well.

      Take care,
      xTania

      Delete
  6. Love the garden and new path. I am trying to grow a few herbs in pots and collected the seeds from a dried up seed head from the dill. Do you use them in cooking just as collected or do you need to do something else with them before using them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have saved the dill seed for sowing again next season. I never thought to use the seeds in cooking, but that would be a great idea.

      Delete
  7. Hugs for missing your mum, Tania. My mum will be turning 70 next year, and I'm sure to give her a hug every day. I can do that, now she's living with my son and I. It was meant to be temporary, but the housing market took off and she can't get back in. But I don't mind, because the days together are getting fewer. So I appreciate that she's here. It's a time to be savoured. I know people who have lost their parents, and can't get that time back. So I know time together is very precious. There will be a day, I won't be able to have those hugs.

    I see that photo of your mum, and know where your gardening spirit came from. Life always returns to a garden. 🫂 Yours is looking very lush and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you are spending time with your Mum Chris. One doesn't realise how much you miss them until they are gone. I have been struggling without my mum, she was my biggest fan and we got on so well. Dad is doing okay, but I know he has had days where he struggles too. They were married 63 years, so losing mum has left a huge hole in his life. I am taking each day as it comes, that's how I get through. I've been suffering from depression since Mum left us. I have lost my mojo for life at the moment, but hopefully things improve from here on end, twelve months have rolled by ever so quickly.

      Take care and enjoy your time with Mum,
      xTania

      Delete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.