About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Around here...

We are getting some much needed jobs done while this gorgeous weather is around...the nights are cooling right down, so wont be long and the fire will be put to good use.

Our orange tree is loaded with goodness, I have had to trim the bottoms to get it off the ground....


 Second crop of figs...


Mandarin's 


 ....and the grapefruit is doing the best as usual *sigh*
We tend to get so many of these that they go to waste...


We have been cleaning up the overgrown orchard...


Making piles ready to burn...


Looking so much better now...


Pulled out some bushes to make more space as the poor little mulberry tree was finding it hard to compete...


 Tools of the trade...


 Moved some of the collected up concrete and dumped it in nearby landfill...


 Some had to be broken up first, with the jack hammer...

 In the background is our big bonfire collection.  Every year we have a big burn, at the moment just waiting until after the 15th April to do this lot.


Wood that hubby has collected over the years...


His new pile that

needs to be cut smaller soon...


I am hoping to grow some  native plants in this area
to pretty it up a bit.


 Some times the salt-bush all though natural needs a bit more added to it...


We have a vision of natural pathways and lots of natives for this ridge.  I would like to encourage more birds to our block if I can.


With this little secluded spot I would like to add a bench made from sleepers or logs that hubby has collected.  It is out of the wind and looks directly up along the ridge pictured above...nice and restful.


I brought back some cuttings from a relatives beautiful garden while away at the funeral.


I am hoping that they all take off successfully.


Succulents,
easy to grow with very little water...


Hoya...the curly version


Hoya again


I have so many pieces of this to pot up... 


Impatiens enjoying the sunshine...



Hanging pot of petunias...


Lavender has been re-potted...


 Succulents in hanging pot look lovely :) 


I have cleared away a creeper that was taking over my front garden, sorry forgot to add a picture. And have given the chook house a good clean out.  We will need to get some straw today for the nest boxes.  A great tip is to add garlic to the boxes and the fleas will stay away. We have added oil onto the ground in the hope that will send them packing...

I have found muscles that I never knew I had over the last few days :)

Another beautiful day here today so must away and do some more.  The housework can wait as I am not going to waste the lovely sunshine...

xTania

13 comments:

  1. Wow, you really have been busy! Everything is looking wonderful as well. Loving the plans you have made, it will look fantastic when all is done. Take care of those muscles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always nice to do something where you can actually SEE the results and that lasts for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely round up of what is happening in your garden. Do you make gapefruit marmalade from your excess fruit?
    Plans for including more natives in your garden sounds lovely and a bench to sit on too. Every garden needs a nice spot to sit and ponder.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am envious of your fruit trees! my herb garden is struggling and i dont know what to do !!! and yes, it is getting cool at night/early morning. i think winter will be upon us early this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats what I call busy LOL... A wonderful crop of fruit and I am so green LOL those figs are a dream for me :))

    Well done Tania :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you have been very busy, most impressed with hubby's wood pile.
    I love Autumn great time to clean up, fire restrictions lifted so we had a great bonfire over Easter.Good luck with your plans,the seat with the view will be a lovely place to sit and think............

    ReplyDelete
  8. The difference in hemispheres finds you settling into the coming cold as we are preparing for another scorcher of a summer. Despite the arid climate in your area, your garden looks lovely and idyllic. I envy all the wide open spaces around your house. We do live in a semi-rural neighbourhood, but suburbia is encroaching all around us. If we didn't have kids, we probably would've/ should've moved further out, but nevertheless, I'm content too with my neck of the woods. Do you have a fire pit in your yard, or is that banned due to the weather?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh to have citrus and fig trees must be wonderful! Don't you just LOVE little starts of plants? I enjoy making cuttings and rooting them to give away as 'gifts' .. My favorite is the hoya plant I started with two leaves. You have been very busy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's 2 days in a row I've heard the word Hoya! Was at a friends for tea last night and noticed her curly one and commented on it! Looking forward to see how it all turns out :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. The weather has been fantastic here too but I haven't ventured into the garden! Our weekends are full at the moment and there's not much time when I get home from work.

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have been busy ,welldone it looking realy good .

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also hate wasting the sunshine and like to enjoy whilst it is around, the housework won't go anywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.