About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

today

Good evening friends,

Tonight is really cold with our first frost due, so today I have been out in the garden covering up any sensitive veggies like tomatoes, capsicums and sweet potato. That chill was here again, the wind was freezing!

I bought some of this frost block in Adelaide recently to give it a try.


Time will tell if it is going to work successfully. Has anyone used this?



So here they all are rugged up for the frosty night.  I will check on the plants first thing in the morning. I didnt use the frost block on everything, just the main veggies I would like to keep alive...


So glad to have rain water on tap in the patch now. The veggies do so much better with rain water.


Robyn {in Ceduna}, this pic is for you. I have this geranium/pelargonium growing in a hanging pot. It has gotten quite big, but has only flowered once, so I am thinking I will move it more toward the light.


Sourdough was baked...


As was coffee cake...


Made a batch of pumpkin soup...


This basil is finally dry enough to be put into jars. The inside fire dried the leaves out beautifully.


 We had pumpkin soup followed by linguine for tea...delicious!


Only a short post tonight, see you all again tomorrow.

xTania

10 comments:

  1. food looks delicious.

    I've never used frost cloths. Here temperature rarely drops below zero. If that happnes I cover plants with old bed sheets. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil,

      I have used old sheets as well to cover a couple of plants. I might pop into the op shop to see if I can find some more tomorrow, they are so handy in the garden for summer and winter :)

      xTania

      Delete
  2. Hello again Tania! I must be famous, my name is on your post - fancy that!!

    It's lovely hanging in that basket. Perhaps some fertilizer may do the trick also.

    Does that plant climb up fences? Is it an Ivy? The one I purchased is, but says you can put it in hanging baskets. All for now, cheers Robyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be an ivy Robyne, I think it was a piece from my mum's place. Grows very simply by piece. I have fertilised my plant a while ago, maybe its time for some more.

      Enjoy your famous moment lol! Not that I am famous haha!

      xTania

      Delete
  3. Oh, look at the linguini! Everything looks just excellent. I love home grown dried basil in salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this linguine and serve it up often. My basil gets added to everything, really love the flavour.

      Have a lovely day Stephenie,

      xTania

      Delete
  4. your bread is stunning! keep posting xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep on posting for now Sue, even though some days are quite boring here. Or maybe that's just my opinion, others may find it interesting :)

      xTania

      Delete
  5. I would be lost in a frost area. It has been almost thirty years since I have lived anywhere that suffers from frost. Right now my sub tropical garden is booming. We have had some very cold, for us, weather. It got down to 6 degrees last night and only up to 19 today. I must get dried Esmerelda, my sourdough starter, up and running again. I dried her off over summer as it was just too hot. That geranium looks gorgeous. I didnt know they would grow so well in a hanging basket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like frost either Jane, but we do need them for some of the plants we grow. If you google ivy geranium hanging baskets or just geranium hanging baskets and have a look at the images. They are beautiful! This is what I was hoping to achieve, but mine have put on more growth and less flowers. I will be trimming that particular one back in the next day or so.

      xTania

      Delete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.