About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Saturday, August 15, 2020

weekly roundup...

Hello everyone, 

This week there has been warm sunny days, windy days, rainy days and cloudy days. We even received a bit of rain 33.5mm {134 points} which is really lovely. Almost every day we are getting a couple of showers go through, this is just perfect timing leading into spring. It was another very dry winter this year, and things were looking grim. But now I can plan and plant...

In with some leek seedlings.


Soil preparation for spring.


There are beautiful wattles flowers everywhere...


The wonderful rain has left enough dampness to grow moss...




More signs of spring, the pig-face are flowering...


The orchard...weeds and all.


The patch...


Can't wait for the nice warm evenings to return so we can sit out here and watch the sun go down...


Gosh, I wish these were lemons, but alas they are grapefruit.


Sharing the harvest...


Healthy eating...


Greens picked straight from the patch to make into a stir fry.


Lunch...


Mixed veggie soup on a cold day...


While chopping and dropping out in the front garden, I came across these unusual fungi? Further research revealed that they are in fact called Earth Stars.


Fascinating...


This little guy is living at a friends house. She is taking care of him after he was rescued from a worksite.  I think it is more likely to be a "she" rather than a "he".  I couldn't resist this cute photo opportunity...


Browsing old copies of Earth Garden and finding valuable articles.


At last I am getting to do some work on here...


I mended ten pairs of Phil's yard jeans, all with the left knee worn...The next sewing project will be more masks just in case there is another lock down.  Lets hope it doesn't happen, but at least I will be prepared because there is talk of encouraging people to wear masks.


The red hot poker looks beautiful this time of year...


 
More donated jars...


We were given these plastic water bottles, but have more than we need so we decided to make them into wicking pots.

The top was cut off...


And a hole drilled for drainage, then Phil inserted some poly pipe to reach the bottom for filling with water...

They are all ready for putting together and growing some plants.


Water goes in here.


One freezing day {9C Friday week ago} the bees were flying around but kept falling into the icy cold water in the birdbath, so I rescued heaps throughout the day.

This is how they looked when I dragged the bees out the water...pretty much dead!


But within  a few minutes of sitting on my hand they came back to life. Some flew off quickly others hung around a bit longer before going home.


Bubbly sourdough starter.


Made into this rustic loaf.


I added a mix of seeds into the dough including sunflower, pumpkin, flax and chia seeds. Then sprinkled amaranth seeds over the top. This loaf was like a brick, but very nice.


The young pullets are laying already.


I picked this beauty to have with our meals.


I thought I had lost the garlic chives over winter, but a little bit of rain and sunshine makes all the difference.


In the gathering basket...the tomatoes are almost finished, although I did notice new shoots showing.


A bit of quiet knitting for a dear grand daughter.


More baking for the biscuit tin.


Another video to watch...Year round veggies from Permaculture Magazine UK. I need to work harder to achieve this...



How was your week?

See you all soon,
xTania

22 comments:

  1. Hi Tania, my husband was saying yesterday that our Leeks are growing slowly. Actually the Leeks have grown in the last week probably thanks to recent rain and we had a tiny bit of rain over night as well, so that will help a bit more. Your cauliflower looked great, I haven't tried growing cauliflower but hope to next year. Now that our weather is starting to warm up I am preparing for the transition to gradually putting my veggie patch to bed as by November it will be too hot for much gardening. I am hoping we will have a green house by then so I can continue growing in pots.
    Good on you for rescuing the bees. Your knitting is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherri,

      I planted the leeks just in time for some more rain, so they should take off quite quickly now. The weather is warming up here already, so things should come to life very soon.

      I don't normally grow through winter but I am ever so pleased with the veggies that I did plant. The cauliflowers are growing really well and the cabbages are now forming heads. And the bok choy, well That is growing the best of all! Will definitely do this again next year. I have been ever so lucky with no bugs so that's a bonus.

      We have cleared a spot for our greenhouses just got to find the time to get them built. I've only had them about three years, they are still in their boxes! We have been distracted with other things, like setting our bee hives up.

      Have a lovely week,
      xTania

      Delete
  2. It's left arm elbows I always have to mend around here! And it is still very much winter but my early iris has flowered and the first blossom trees are out. I've never heard that called pig face...it is ice plant around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KK, thank you for your visit today.

      It was a matter of having to mend hubby jeans as he was running out of them because he can no longer buy the brand that he wears. He needed something to get him through to when he can find a brand he is happy with. In future I will just add a thick patch to prevent damage right from the start.

      Ice plant is a completely different plant in our neck of the woods. Pig face grows easily like a succulent and it loves the rain.

      Enjoy your week,
      xTania

      Delete
  3. YOur garden is looking lovely Tania.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those poor little bees although it's great you were able to save them and they got on their way. Have a great week. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know why the bees would venture out on such a cold day. Hopefully they made it home safely.

      You have a great week also Kathy xxx

      Delete
  5. Another lovely post Tania. You sure do keep busy my friend. I love the story about the bees ... I did not know that would happen but I am so pleased many of them flew off & were okay. I have been mending jeans too ... not my favourite job. Your sourdough loaf looks delicious, as do your cookies. They are making noises over here about mask wearing becoming compulsory too so I am wondering if I should begin making some. Hope you have a great week Tania. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. So great to hear from you.

      Yes the same happening here with the wearing of masks. I really don't mind if I had to wear a mask, if it protects others as well as myself, I will do it. I think maybe you should make some. I am going to make a big heap of them for family members.

      Wishing you a beautiful week too xxx

      Delete
  6. Another lovely, interesting and informative post. Thank you. Those Earth Stars are fascinating! Love the knitting pattern, and the yarn you chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there Linda,

      Definitely interesting finding those earth stars. They have probably been in the garden before and I had never noticed them. I will keep a look out now, I am hoping they mean healthy soil.

      I am happy with the knitting pattern too, it is a lot prettier than I thought it would be.

      Have a lovely week,
      xTania

      Delete
  7. Tania you have been busy. Good on you for rescuing the bees. You will be rewarded once Phil starts rading the hives for honey. I have been pulling all the winter tomatoes out of the garden. Garden beds have been refurbished with compost and manure and have been re seeded today. We still have lots in garden beds growing beautifully and providing the house with plenty of foods for the table. Our girls are yet to lay an egg. Our neighbour says it will be another couple of weeks of growing before they are ready to lay. I can wait. I have masks made for us for when our bubble of safety is busted here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one very industrious woman Jane. I am always amazed at what you get done.

      I was really surprised about our young chooks laying, it doesn't seem that long ago that they hatched out lol! But I guess they must be at the right age...

      Have a wonderful week,
      xTania

      Delete
  8. Hi Tania, I couldn't believe when you said at the end you need to work harder !!! :) my word, you achieve so much now, but I know you mean grow more veg :) Your knitting is so beautiful (so talented). I don't know how to knit anymore than a basic scarf. It's always great to stop by and see what your up to across the pond !! Blessings to you sweet friend ~ Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda,

      Hope you are getting along okay with the restrictions over there. My mum taught me to knit as a child and I began with a basic scarf, then went on to learn other stitches and read patterns. It is not that hard if you want to learn. Plenty of tutorials on youtube :)

      I still didn't get to making any soap, and this week is out because we are going away for a few days.

      Wishing you a blessed week ahead,
      xTania

      Delete
  9. Hi, Tania. I have just started reading your blog and I am really enjoying reading about the things you do. I was very interested to see you using large water bottles as wicking planters. I'm in the UK and my problem is keeping small plants warm at the beginning of the growing season. About 15 years ago my dad gave me 3 water cooler bottles. He had removed the wider end and suggested that I use them as cloches. One broke after several years use when it was blown across the garden by high winds. The other two are still going strong. The small open end means that air still gets to the plants and I am able to push a long stick down through them to anchor them down. Once bitten, twice shy! Best wishes, Tracy X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy,

      Welcome to my blog, and thank you for your lovely comment.

      Thank you for telling about your cloches, they sound like they would work really well.

      I had intended to use the cut off tops of those bottles picture for putting over young seedlings etc to help them get growing. At the moment I just cut clear plastic bottles in half and use them. I forgot to mention that in this post, but that is the reason they were included in the photo lol!

      Have a wonderful week, and I hope you will visit again.

      xTania

      Delete
  10. The wattles are in bloom here too, Tania. There is one particularly large wattle along path where I walk our dog and it's covered in yellow blossom. The bees have been having pollen-plundering parties in it!!

    Bees are fascinating aren't they! I'm glad those taking frosty dips in your bird bath recovered. My little native bees don't take flight until it's 18C so they've had some sleep-ins lately. Though today, with forecast of 28C, they'll be out and about early!

    MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg.

      Our bees haven't stopped at all, even over winter. They still come out in the cold. I cant work out why they would come out in 9C just to die of the cold. Yes they are fascinating little buzzes. I have noticed quite a few native bees around here lately too including a huge teddy bear bee buzzing around the veggie patch. She was too quick for a photo though.

      Have a lovely day Meg.
      xTania

      Delete
  11. Living in stage four lockdown I envy being able to go out and about I can’t even go out into my own property as we are under water
    You have been busy. Well done
    Keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for all of you in Victoria. It must be a struggle to get through each day and keep your sanity.

      At least we can see the numbers now going down, so that is good news. Here we are trying to get on with our normal lives but there is a cloud is over our heads all the time and it feels like the virus is lurking somewhere and you keep waiting for the news there is another outbreak. I think our lives have forever changed and this will be the norm from now on. Wearing masks and trying to avoid catching the bug!

      Hope your situation improves soon Angela,
      Hugs Tania xxx

      Delete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.