About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Nature's Beauty

Mother Nature surrounds us all but sometimes we need to look a little harder to find her beauty.








Come through the gate out to the back




Wheel from yesteryear


The beauty of it all...... surviving in the dry soil


Some daisies



Red Flowering Saltbush





Green/Yellow Flowering Saltbush





Some quandongs, not quite ready





Quandong on the turn






Yellow pigface (as I know it)




Purple pigface



Flowering Native




Pink flowering emu bush




I am not sure of the Botanical Names for these plants and my photography certainly needs some improvement. It would appear that I get too close. I look forward to getting a new camera soon.






Have a truly wonderful day,


Tania

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing your quandong tree. It looks pretty.

    The one I saw was in the middle of nowhere and I was afraid the red looked out of place. Can you eat them straight off the tree or do you have to stew them at least?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda,

    You can eat the quandongs straight off the tree, or they can be stewed with lots of sugar to sweeten them. I think it is an aquired taste, they are a bit bitter when you first taste them. Stewed they are similar to rhubarb. I make them into pies using a basic scone mixture for the pastry. Yummy with cream and or icecream.

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tania; I have just read all your posts. It was very interesting reading about your family. I have met your grand parents and your parents in "cyberspace" what would they say to this? Hardworking lovely people who gave you a loving childhood. The most important in life! You also gave me a glimpse of a completely different area in Australia. I have never been to South Australia. The Ancestors of my son in law settled in S.A. about at the same time as yours. Thanks for that post it is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pictures are lovely. Amazing to see the one flower grow in the baked soil. Loved the corrugated iron fence and the gorgeous dog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your photos, thankyou for sharing, love nature. I especially love the blue flower.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.