About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Friday, May 31, 2019

home again

Hello again friends,

We are home safe and sound.  On the way we called into Dublin to get a big bag of carrots for our neighbours horses, and then into Port Pirie to have lunch at a little cafe. It was a dark dreary day, with very little rain around.


The house was freezing inside when we arrived home, so the first thing to happened was the fire. It was 13C outside and it stayed that way all of the afternoon. It got down to 4C last night so no wonder the house was so cold. Winter is definitely here.


I came home with another blue berry plant and some more baby spinach seedlings. I have placed them out in the veggie patch ready to plant out tomorrow. Baby spinach is so easy to grow and it does really well in my garden. The last blue berry plant died in the hot weather in January, so hoping I have more luck this time of year.


After eating a filling lunch, I wasn't sure what to have for tea as we weren't all that hungry.  I had purchased a bag of capsicums for $2.00 yesterday so these were stuffed with rice mixed with a few bits and pieces and put in the oven. They took a long time to bake but they were really nice.  Lucky I put them on early.


I served the capsicum with a bit of salad and toasted sourdough.


Yesterday on our travels we found these at an op shop for $1 each...how could I leave them there? I love the Fire King range especially the pretty golden orange colour.


We also caught up with a friend for coffee yesterday afternoon and there was a cheap green grocer nearby. I stocked up on many items including these mandarins and Jonathon apples for $1.99/kilo. Our mandarin tree out the back has been cut right back so unfortunately there will be no fruit from it this year.  We do have oranges and grapefruit growing, so they will have to do.  With the bad flu season that is upon us, I figure I should get as much fruit and vitamin C into my body as possible. I have not had the flu or bad cold for years.


My grand babies came for a visit and stayed while their mum went to boot camp. She is on a health kick and is trying to lose some weight that has crept on over the years.


This rainbow appeared a couple of weeks ago when we received a bit of rain.  It was the end of the day and quite spectacular! The rainbow was so big I could not fit the whole of it in the photo. Originally it was a double one, but by the time I grabbed my camera and ran outside the second one had faded.


I still have to finish unpacking tomorrow, mostly clothes to sort through and then I might spend some time outside gardening and checking on things. In the afternoon I shall go and visit my parents in the hills, and deliver some groceries I picked up for them.

Well I think that is about all for today, I am a bit tired and am looking forward to climbing into my bed tonight. 

See you soon,

xTania


10 comments:

  1. We're heading into our hot time of year, here. I don't know why it can't just stay spring and fall all year! - lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Gorges about spring and autumn. They are the best times of year and now I have to wait three months before spring appears again. Our winters are very mild compared to yours though. The only good thing about it is the warm fire. Hubby probably would not agree because he has to get the wood ready to keep me warm!

      Delete
  2. We love, love, love baked stuff capsicum - it is an all time favourite at our house. We will miss our wood fire this year as we are doing renovations and the potbelly is therefore out of action - electric heat for us this winter - yuk :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you Phil!

      This is the first time I have tried stuffed capsicum and it definitely wont be the last. I really don't know why I waited so long to try them, they are delicious!

      Oh no...no fire! The heat from electricity just isn't the same is it? And we wont mention the cost, it is expensive here for electricity.

      Cant wait until you are posting on your new "old" blog. Hope it will be up and running soon.

      xTania

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is a spectacular rainbow. That fire looks so warm and cozy. The stuffed peppers sound delicious. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful rainbow, something you don't see often here.

      Have a lovely weekend Stephenie xx

      Delete
  4. Those Fireking mugs really brought back some memories for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep me too. And they make a lovely cup of tea, as well as a good talking point when I use them for visitors xx

      Delete
  5. I love stuffed peppers. Yours look so delicious.
    I hope you are having a relaxing weekend at home Tania. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Nil, I am having a very relaxing weekend, I need it after such a hectic week!

      xTania

      Delete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.