About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Monday, April 6, 2020

day by day 06.04.2020


Hello all,

This will be my daily diary of being in isolation at home due to the covid-19 virus. I hope to post on most days, but I may miss a few here and there.

Today was a beautiful 23C {73.4F}. Lots of sunshine, fluffy clouds and slight cool breeze.

I don't know if it is me, but the sky seems a lot brighter or clearer these days. Could it be because most of the world is in lock down and the pollution has lifted?

To keep my immune system in check, I have been exercising every day. The local Port Augusta racecourse is located nearby, in fact it is just up the road from our house.  There is a dirt track all the way around the outside of the race-track so this is where I walk. Sometimes I go all the way around, other times half way and back. Occasionally in the mornings I am lucky enough to see kangaroos and or emus, lizards and the odd snake.

Today was a really nice day to walk.


 
Our house is where the last tree is in the distance on the left.


I am doing really well with learning the ukulele. I can play about a dozen songs now, mostly country, but that's okay because country is my favourite music.  Unfortunately the lessons I was attending have been cancelled for the year, so it is now up to me to keep practicing and find new songs to learn. Thank goodness for the internet and the extra free time. Now I just need to get my singing voice in the right pitch lol. When I pick up the uke to play, the worlds problems go away for a little while.


I kept back a couple of really ripe tomatoes from my plants to collect the seeds for next spring. They are Black cherry and Black Russian tomato seeds.


Upon opening my fridge this morning, I noticed this butternut pumpkin was starting to look a bit sad, so I put a bit of oil all over and placed into the oven.


Then I decided the pumpkin would make a delicious soup. So I put it in the crock-pot with some cooked potatoes, spring onion greens, garlic, leftover zucchini, celery, vegetable stock and left it to slow cook. Once done, I blitzed the soup and added some soy milk and served myself a bowl for tea...it was yum!



Bluer than blue skies.


 There was a nice breeze for drying clothes on wash day.

 
 Today's pickings from the patch.


It was time to remove the basil from the outside solar dryer.


And here is the mask I made a few days ago. I think it gives good face coverage to keep the germs in or out. I need to get busy and make some more. The next ones will have a pocket to put a filter in for extra protection. You can see how I did the elastic in the photos, far better than hooking around the ears. Excuse the scruffy look, I had just returned from my walk J



So that was my day, I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

See you soon,
xTania

11 comments:

  1. Oh, that's great, Tania. You look so radiant and healthy. The sky has become very blue, here, too. Music is do healing and freeing. You are a fine example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement Stephenie, it means a lot to me.

      xTania

      Delete
  2. Your soup looks great Tania..so good you have a good walking track around the track too. Stay safe. Kathy, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy for popping in on a regular basis and offering support and encouragement. It means a lot xxx



      Delete
  3. Good for you for exercising, Tania.
    That’s one thing I keep postponing.

    Stay safe. XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nil.

      If I ever needed a reason to exercise, this is it! My immune system was showing problems in a recent blood test, so I am doing my best to pick it up again.

      Exercise plays an important role.

      xTania

      Delete
  4. I used to play the ukelele as a kid, I have no musical ability though. I have been making some simpler masks that go around the ears, yours looks very professional. Are the filters to insert readily available? Take care stay home and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Gillian.

      I am using weed matting to make filters. It is waterproof and not woven (so droplets cant get through), and it is breathable. I posted a video link in a previous post that explains what material needs to be if used for a filter. So I came up with the weed matting because I remembered that it was waterproof, so I then went ahead and tested it for breathing through. To my surprise I could breathe, so it made sense to me to use it. There are other things that people are using for filters; tissues and washed baby wipes {perfect size}, but I know they soak up moisture so would be no good. I have been toying with using a good quality paper towels, but once again soaks up water. It has been suggested that the blue workshop paper would work to make masks out of. I am going to try it but because it is used to mop up spills, I am not sure it would be suitable for the best protection. The weed matting I am talking about is the thinner type ones available in cheap shops. I just double over for extra protection.

      You can buy filters on eBay but I am not sure of the availability at this time.

      Here is the link for that video
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8HNYKvlaN8&t=629s

      Hope I have explained good enough for you.

      Good luck,
      xTania

      Delete
  5. Tania, my Dad used to play the ukelele and was in a band when he was young in the 1920s. He could make that thing talk. Good on you for keeping up your walks. I am doing walking at home with Leslie Sansone as I don't like to be out in the sun too much after having skin cancer surgery a while back. We are into soups here too. I sent hubby out to buy pearl barley and he came back with enough soup mix to last for years as there was no pearl barley. Then I went into Wollies just after they must have restocked and bought three packets of pearl barley. So we have plenty for soup throughout winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nanna Chel.

      I haven't noticed if there is a shortage of pearl barley in our stores. I already have quite a bit on hand so haven't really looked. You know now you could be labeled a hoarder! Lol!

      xTania

      Delete
  6. Wow, your days are particularly busy! You'll be glad to have saved those tomato seeds. I haven't dared visit my usual online seed companies, as I know they'll be sold out of everything. I made a pumpkin soup recently too. Began with roasting just as you did. Makes a slightly sweeter flavour. Today, I'm planning on making a potato and leak soup. Dipped under 20 degrees for the first time, last night! Soup weather is coming, finally. I envy your flat terrain, for all that walking! We're all hills.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.