About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

the rain is back

We woke up to a rainy morning, and it wasn't really something we expected until the afternoon.  So needless to say we didn't worry about checking in on the bees, we will do that on the next sunny day which is supposed to be Monday.

It was meant to be 24C {75F} today, but it didn't get much above 17C {62F}. And although it rained most of the day it did not register a lot in the gauge. We only took out 5.5mm {22pts}. Tomorrow is forecast to be another wet day. Everything in the garden and around the yard is loving all this rain. The seedlings I put in yesterday are growing already. Perfect timing to get them in the ground.





There wasn't a lot I could do outside today, but I did rip up some newspaper to add into the garden pots with the soil and I filled one more large pot.


I have to cut back on the bad carbs and sugar due to stomach issues flaring up. It would be to do with all the baking I have been doing. Its not the baking, its the eating of that baking!! It must stop! So today I made some date protein balls, this is what I will have with a cuppa.



Phil has been busy digging out the mulch from this area and putting crusher dust down for the hive to sit on. Eventually we will move all the hives to this location. We have done this to try and stop wax moth and hive beetle making themselves at home in the hives.



Skiffy rain.


By the end of the day the rain had gone.


There were a few heavy clouds passing along the nearby hills.

 


A nice pretty sunset to finish off a perfect wet day.


A little video of the rain.


Its a baby sitting day for me tomorrow. First the grand dog, then in the afternoon my two little grandies.  I haven't spent time with the littlies for quite a while during this isolation, so it will be lovely to have them around.

Did you get some rain? I believe it is fairly widespread.

xTania 

12 comments:

  1. So lovely to have some rain and have an inside day and the sunset looks great. Earlier this week we had a stunning sunset in Brisbane too. Have a good week. Kathy, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy.

      Some of our sunsets at this time of year are something special to see!

      xTania

      Delete
  2. Hi Tania, Thanks for the info about the sweet potatoes. The leaves are just beginning to go a bit yellow and thanks to you I know what to do next. Quite exciting really! The rain is so very wonderful. Everything looks so much better.
    Yesterday you mentioned and had a pic of the tin in the pot where you put food scraps to feed the plants. On Morag Gambles mypermaculturelife blog I saw her worm towers and made some(ages ago. They work really well and the soil around them in the raised beds is noticeably much richer. I used small lengths of white poly pipe, different diameters and different lengths and put terracotta pots on the top to keep the rainout. I made the holes about the size of a 20 cent coin with a hole saw. Thanks again for sharing your days. Enjoy your grandies, the rain and those date balls. Stay safe and well. Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again Jo.

      I read somewhere the other day, that once the first frosts arrive you can harvest the sweet potatoes. So it can be done anytime between now and then.

      I have seen Morag's worm towers,they are great. What I am doing is from watching another method on youtube, so I am giving it a try. This method may well encourage worms into the beds too. I am a bit worried about my worms surviving the heat in the barrels. If I had in ground garden beds I would definitely put worms in them.

      Thank you for describing what you do with your own worm towers. I will think it over and might give it a go.

      Stay well and enjoy all this wonderful rain, I think it will be a good season.
      XTania



      Delete
  3. Nice drop of rain! Still waiting for a good shower here in Perth, my water tank is pretty low now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe its Perth's turn to miss out on the rain, hope you get some soon to fill your tank. I have noticed the weather seems to take a cycle around Australia. When Perth gets a good year, others in the east miss out and vise versa.

      xTania

      Delete
  4. We got 11 ml last night. I had expected more since at one point it was
    raining so hard it woke me up! We have a skylight in the roof that
    needs to be replaced and can't be done for several weeks (thank you
    COVID19!) - luckily we were able to fit a lot of plastic around
    it so it didn't leak. We got 28 the day before. The garden is
    well and truly saturated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are having a really good rain Barbara. Hopefully your skylight held out today with the heavy showers.

      Our garden is saturated too, and loving it.

      xTania

      Delete
  5. Lovely that you have had some rain out there, Tania. We've really not had much here. The area where you are going to put your bee hives looks like it's coming along nicely. We have a lot of bees visiting our garden here and the tiny native bees from our hive are always around too. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have received some rain out of this cold front Meg.

      We are making the bees a bit more safe from critters that may invade the hives. Somebody mentioned to us that the mulch can encourage such invaders, so it had to go. Our bees are hiding inside while the rain is about, hopefully we get some sunshine soon so they can come out again.

      xTania

      Delete
  6. Got lots and still getting rain.
    Not perfect finding for us. But it is what it is
    I kinda need it to be dry for the next two weeks then it can rain again
    Glad you got some too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that always the way Angela. Hope the rain doesn't inconvenience you too much.

      xTania

      Delete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.