About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Friday, April 3, 2020

randomness

Okay, so this post has been sitting in "draft" for a while. I had completely forgotten about posting it with all that has been happening around the world. Like everyone else, I have been rather distracted lately, but now I have decided to post regularly to keep track of the events and things as they happen throughout this awful time. I will post about our days while we are in isolation and beyond. I hope you all keep stay safe and well.

And now for this post;

A few weeks ago our son and his girlfriend arrived home after three weeks in Japan.
It was a worrying time with the CONVID 19 virus going on around the whole world. Anyway they seem to be clear of any infections. They took precautions such as wearing masks and using sanitiser on their hands.

I felt really special when they handed me this gift they had brought home for me. It is a teacup set with a packet of Cherry Blossom tea. The cups are so pretty, more so than the photos show. One cup is slightly bigger than the other and I presume one may be for a man and the other a woman. 




While watering out back one morning, I found a random mushroom. It was heart shaped.


I've been cooking up a storm in the kitchen. All these baked goodies are vegan. Most are standard recipes that I used to bake, except now I convert them to vegan, and surprisingly the taste is the same.

This vegan chocolate coconut cake is so moist and delicious. This is an easy cheapskates recipe. Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well, then put into cake tin and bake.

MOIST COCONUT CAKE

2 cups self raising flour
1 1/4 cups caster sugar
2 eggs lightly beaten *sub for 2 flax eggs
1 450g can coconut cream
225g coconut
(Add 2-3 tbspns cocoa for chocolate version)


Method:
Preheat oven to 180 C. Sift flour into bowl. Mix in caster sugar and eggs. Add coconut cream and coconut. Mix well until all combined. Pour batter into a greased and baking paper lined cake tin. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Allow cake to cool in tin. Once cake is cool, ice with plain or chocolate icing.



Old fashioned rhubarb cake vegan style, using rhubarb from the veggie patch.


So deliciously moist! I am going to make some custard tomorrow and have it for dessert.


 Vegan zucchini bread using zucchini from the garden.


Vegan bread and butter pudding using $1.00 fruit bread from the specials rack. Baked in yummy vanilla custard and topped with marmalade...mmmm!


I also made some of Jenny's vegan banana bread cookies. I added dates to mine instead of raisins and they are delicious!


This baby blanket was a special request from my daughter. She wanted me to crochet a simple blanket in rainbow colours for her friend who is having a baby in June. I think the colours turned out lovely. I did have a bit of trouble finding suitable colours and in the end had to buy a pale blue and apricot in 4 ply baby wool and use it doubled.


 I had a few spare squares that I didn't use, so I made them into a dolly blanket for my grand daughter.


While I had my crochet out, I decided to add trims to a few bits of my clothing. Firstly this plain denim skirt.



And then a couple of my tank tops. I am going to make the trim on the bottom of the brown top a bit longer as this shirt is quite short.




Here is an easy meal I made while home alone.  I simply grabbed some veggies from the fridge and fried them together. I used spring onion, garlic, zucchini, beans, cabbage, carrot, capsicum, baby spinach and some past their use by date tomatoes. I would have used mushrooms, but I was out of them. Add some salt and pepper, basil and oregano and let stew for a little while with the lid on. Meanwhile I cooked some brown rice to add to the mix.


Panic or prepare?

What ever you like to call it,  I am preparing for the coming corona virus. Here I have made dettol wipes out of a bottle of dettol and paper towels. I used a large jar so I can fit a paper towel roll in and when I lift the lid, the wipe will come out of the middle easily. These will be used to wipe down doorknobs etc.


This cheeky dragon was up in a small shrub catching bees as they flew past to the nearby bird bath for water.  A free feast!


Can you see him in the bush?



I think this was the same bearded dragon a few days later. He almost gave me heart failure because I nearly trod on him!


The outback daisies are back and looking pretty.


Jerusalem artichoke flowers that the bees are loving.


The weather lately is beautiful, it is so good to get outside and enjoy.  Because it takes a while to fill all the wicking barrels with water, I take a book out to sit and read while I wait. It is nice to just be, and listen to the birdsong going on around me. The book I am reading is A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle, I am finding it fascinating.


See you soon,

xTania

18 comments:

  1. Tania, your crochet is lovely. I was talking to my girl in the Outback today about gardening and reminded her to look ar how you grow your veggies as you have similar weather to her. I am sure she will pick up a few tips that will help her plan her gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nanna Chel. I hope your girl manages to grow her own food. Extra important now.

      xTania

      Delete
  2. I love that book. Oprah recommended it on her show years ago, and I found a copy at the library. You sound very prepared. That is wise. With all of your food growing and cooking skills, I think you will be fine. I love the trim that you crocheted on your tank tops, and that baby blanket is gorgeous! What a sweet little doll blanket, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is how long I have had that book Stepenie. I saw it on Oprah and promptly bought it. It has been sitting on my bookshelf all this time so I thought it was a good time to read such a book. It brings peace to me.

      xTania

      Delete
  3. Your baking looks delicious, Tania. I will definitely be trying your chocolate coconut cake! The book you've started reading sounds interesting too. I'd like to know what you think of it when you're finished reading it. All our libraries are closed but sometimes books are easy to get second-hand. (I'm sure I'll run out of new books to read before the libraries open again.) Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was enjoying that book Meg, although I haven't picked it up in a while because of being busy doing other things. I will be getting back to it soon though, it is a really calming book.

      I have a lot of books here that I have not read, it is my intention to get to them while we are in isolation. I am my own library lol!

      xTania

      Delete
  4. Your crochet blankets are just beautiful Tania - & the trims on your clothing is a wonderful idea. I am liking the dettol wipes idea also - do they stay damp with the lid on the jar ... they don't dry out? I have been interested to read some Echart Tole myself so hope when the Libraries open again I can borrow some of his work. Take care Tania - have a lovely weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wipes have not dried completely out Julie. I have almost used them all. The paper towels do soak up most of the liquid though.

      Do read Eckhart Tolle books, they are fantastic, and he is on youtube too. He speaks so calmly and helps to make sense of things.

      Enjoy your weekend Julie xxx

      Delete
  5. The cherry blossom cups and tea cups from Japan are stunning....such a thoughtful and useful gift. I love the crochet blanket and also the trims on your skirt and shirts. Stay safe and have a good week Tania. Regards Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. Yes those cups are gorgeous, and the perfect gift because I love cherry blossom.

      Take care,
      xTania

      Delete
  6. Hi Tania. I have everything in the pantry to try out that coconut cake. Thanks for the recipe. Clever you adding trims to your shirts ans skirt. Love the baby blanket. Bluey and I are are staying at home and just getting on with as much as we can. The garden is booming and we are providing for us and for our daughters household in that respect. A few of the neighbours have been trading with us for our veg. We now have plenty of eggs and fresh caught fish in the fridge and freezer. I think we will manage.It was good to see you back here. Looking forward to reading what you and Phil are getting up to. Hope those bees of yours are still buzzing about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like everything is in control at your end Jane. Must be wonderful to have neighbours to trade with.

      The bees are going great, really busy getting ready for the cold weather to come. I am about to do a post about our bees.

      You and Bluey stay safe and well xxx

      Delete
  7. I too love your crochet work. Those trims are beautiful.

    Stay safe. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nil.

      Hope you are keeping safe and well,
      xTania

      Delete
  8. Hi Tania, lots of wow moments in this post. Gorgeous crochet rug, love the colours, clever crochet up-cycling of your skirt and tops. wow!! Your'e such a groovy gran.XX The vegan adaptations are inspiring and delicious. Did you use a milk substitute for the b&b pudding? The lizards, just beautiful, and yes they scare the life out of me when they camouflage themselves and we end up almost on top of them. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally.

      Yes I used soy milk for the b&b pudding. Just made a delicious vanilla custard and poured over the bread.

      Custard
      1 vanilla pod, split lengthwise or vanilla essence
      800ml soy milk
      5 tablespoons cornflour
      6 tablespoons caster or superfine sugar
      400ml water

      Stir together in a saucepan and once thickened slightly, pour over bread.

      xTania

      Delete
  9. Clever girl crocheting your clothes. How nice to make they uniquely yours
    The blanket is lovely and cosy looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela, hope you are keeping well.

      xTania

      Delete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.