About Me

My photo
Life on two acres of arid dirt, on the edge of the Australian outback.

Monday, April 27, 2020

day by day 25.04.2020 - 27.04.2020

I crocheted some simple poppies to hang on my door for ANZAC day.


I put one onto a jar with a candle, and burned this most of the day and night in remembrance.



I wore one.


And made ANZAC biscuits.


Saturday night we received more rain! Another 13mm {52points/half inch}. It was a hot humid day leading up to the rain 33C {91.4F}.


I pulled out the rest of the beetroot on Sunday.  I have bought more seedlings to go in. I love how this vegetable grows all year round, I grow some for me and some for my mum. These ones were for mum.


Clouds hanging low over the hills when travelling to my parents yesterday.


Today was wood chopping day. The cold weather is hitting here this week and hopefully there will be even more rain. Definitely time to get wood ready for the winter fire.



This pile to get through yet.



Phil planted trees and shrubs in this new section of garden. The flowers on these will help the bees.


A forming succulent flower.


Quandongs.


The cucumber is growing.


Rhubarb.


Garlic.


Beans.


Tiger tomatoes.



Cucumber flower.


Artichokes.


Carrots.


Broccoletti.


Kale.


Baby spinach.



Bok choy.


Parsley.


Garlic chives.


Celery.


Unknown tomato plant.


Young kale. I have added a pot to the middle to which I added food scraps to feed the plants.  This is a new experiment.


My first radish.


Today's pickings.


Tiny daisy.


Those skies were back today.


Such a beautiful clear day. There is water in the salt lake.





I trimmed back the lemon balm and lemon verbena.

  
Planted out the lettuce and more baby spinach and placed these covers over to protect from the birds.




I chopped back the oregano ready for drying.


I sat and stripped all the leaves off.


Then placed into the drying rack.


I also pick some more basil for drying.


Tomorrow we will checking the bee hives and possibly taking out more honey. They have certainly been busy lately.

Our state of South Australia has had five days with no new cases of Covid-19, this is good news. Schools have gone back and some restrictions will soon be lifted if we continue to keep the number of cases low. We will need to keep practicing social distancing, washing hands etc for the time being and probably well into the future.

How was your Monday?

xTania

10 comments:

  1. That's excellent that you have so few cases there. I am so impressed with all of the food and herbs that you are growing. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still worried about the winter flu season and it feels like we are waiting for another wave of the virus to hit. If we get both over winter it will be a real dilemma. We have been in level 3 lock down for about a month and have managed to get on top of Covid-19. Hopefully because our government acted reasonably quickly and our borders are shut we should be okay.

      Herbs are the only things I don't have trouble growing in our climate. They don't seem to mind the heat.

      xTania

      Delete
  2. Your wreath and other poppies look great
    Your garden is producing nicely
    We have been organising wood for winter as well
    I think it’s going to be a wet one this year.
    Hopefully the rains head to those that need it most

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No bee check today, it is overcast and spitting with rain as I write this. The forecast is for a good year rain wise, maybe the earth is returning to normal without all the smog etc in the atmosphere. Pity it wont stay that way.

      xTania

      Delete
  3. I lit a candle for Anzac Day too Tania. Your poppies are so lovely. Yes we went into Level 3 last night so I hope our cases continue to drop here too. Have a great week Tania xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,

      I listened to the radio this morning about your restrictions. I hope they continue to work and kicked the virus' butt clean out of there. We have been level 3 for about a month and the numbers are falling dramatically. It is really outstanding that most Aussies have done the right thing.

      Wishing you a lovely week,
      xTania

      Delete
  4. Your crochet poppies look lovely. Isn't oregano such a sturdy grower that multiplies..I just saw a post on Rhonda's Down to Earth blog about drying oregano so I'll get onto that this week. Have a good week. Kathy, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never used to dry oregano until last year. I am still using it to this day. Last year there was more than this year but I am hopeful to get enough {maybe another harvest} to get me through another year.

      The fire inside is perfect for drying and as soon as it is lit this week, probably tomorrow night, I will move the herbs inside. I have picked thyme as well, so my house will be full of lovely herbal smells.

      Enjoy your week,
      xTania

      Delete
  5. Oh! I should dry some oregano! Thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should dry oregano. It is a bit of trouble to strip the leaves off but the end result is so worth it.

      xTania

      Delete

Your comments really make my day. Thank you for taking the time and for being so kind.